I had a saline breast implants 16 years ago. Should I get new implants before they deflate? Or should I wait?

I had a saline breast implants 16 years ago. Since then, I have had two kids and my breast really sag. I am happy with the way they current look. I occasionally get discomfort on both breast but they both look even and they have not deflated. Should I get new implants before they deflate? Or should I wait? I was told to replace them after 10 years. What's your advice?

Breast implants do not need to be replaced periodically.

+1
Even though your implants are 16 years old there is no reason to replace them if they're giving you no difficulty.

Saline implant replacement

+1
You do not need to do anything if you are happy with your saline breast implants.
Eventually they will deflate - but unlike tires, deflating breast implants pose no danger to you.
The saline is harmless and absorbed by your body.
Deflation is usually first noticed by one breast slowly getting a little smaller compared to the other.
At that point, arrange to have both implants removed and replaced.
If you only want replacement - not a lift - we offer this under local anesthesia in the office.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Replacing implants

+1
I am glad your breast augmentation surgery well. My philosophy if your implants are not bothering you or causing obvious physical deformity then leave them alone. There is no hard and fast rule that they must be replaced at 10 years

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Change implants

+1
As long as you like the way they look and feel there is no reason to change them.  If your unsure I would recommend you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best Regards,

Dr Gartner

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

+1
I recommend waiting. If you are happy with how things look and feel, then there is no medical need to change out implants at any specific time or date from your original surgery. If you have a deflation, then your implant warranty will cover the cost of the replacement implant(s). At that time, you can decide if a lift or anything else is needed. Good luck.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

+1
Usually, unless there's a medical problem or aesthetic problem- as deflation for example-- which according to you --you do not have-- there's no need to exchnage the implants. But generally speaking, if you feel that your breasts sag and you're unhappy with they way they look--- you might be a candidate for a lift with a possible augmention with silicone implants. Seek an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for in person consultation.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

When to Replace Saline Implants

+1
Two choices: if they don't bother you and you like the appearance there is no problem in waiting until one ruptures as the saline will simply be absorbed.
On the other hand it is more than likely that one will rupture soon and you may want to plan the replacement electively that fits the best time in your schedule. 
Both reasonable choices.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Saline implants need to be replaced?

+1
Thank you for your question.  This is a common "myth" that has been propagated.  Implants do not need to be changed out every 10 years.  If you are happy with the shape and feel of your breasts, then you do not need to do anything about them.  Your implants may deflate at some point, and then you would obviously want to get both replaced.  You could undergo a lift at the same time.  However, at this point if you have no major concerns or complaints about your breasts, there is no need to undergo any surgery.  
Best of luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Don't fix what isn't broken

+1
and it sounds like you are totally fine with your current condition and looks.  Your implant will deflate some year and it will be obvious.  Most surgeons can get you into the OR within a couple of weeks.  You would have to consider adding on a mastopexy when scheduling your next procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Replacing implants

+1
If you are happy, leave them alone. Only operate if you have a problem. Fix what is broken don't operate for length of time.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD