Broken Suture a Day After Rhinoplasty. Is It Repairable?

I had open rhinoplasty yesterday and whilst cleaning my nose with ointment today a suture tore and the front of my left nostril now has a loose piece of skin. Is it irrepairable? I am seeing my surgeon tomorrow what will he do?

Torn Suture 24 Hours after Rhinoplasty

+1

First call your surgeon. If necessary, the suture can easily be replaced. Your ultimate result will not be compromised.

Rhinoplasty Suture Emergency?

+1

The loss of a single suture is likely not anything to be concerned with and the skin will likely contract on its own leaving no trace of the problem.  However, if the surgeon only uses one suture to close an entire side then the issue might be more of a concern.  I would contact your surgeon to see what he/she advises.  As most surgeons use multiple sutures, then I anticipate that there will be little concern, but contacting your physician is always the wisest decision.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Broken Suture One Day After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Your rhinoplasty surgeon will take care of your wound tomorrow.  It is easily repairable, so don't lose any sleep over it.  Do call your surgeon and see if he/she prefers to see you today.  Good luck, be well, and hope that you love your new nose.

Dr.P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Broken Suture After Rhinoplasty

+1

Based on this description of events, I recommend you contact your Surgeon ASAP.  The situation is likely reparable but requires timely intervention.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon