Broken Nose, Uneven Nostrils, Should I Get Surgery? (photo)

ok so ill start at the beginning. I had a mole removed on my far right cheek 6 or 7 years ago (when i was 12). They cut an sort of oval shape around the mole and then sewed it back together. (small red scar in the 4th picture). 2 years ago i broke my nose. now my nostrils are hard to breathe through and are very uneven. the left one is exposed and some what sensitive. Im not sure which of these 2 events caused this my dermatologist said it probably wasn't my mole scar though.

Nasal breathing problems should be evaluated and fixed

+1

Hello John,

Thank you for the question.  Anytime there is breathing problems it seems reasonable to have it evaluated and to understand what your options are for repair.  It doesn't really matter which of the two events is the source of your breathing problem as much as what solutions are available.  I would consult with a couple of board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Dr. Remus Repta

Broken nose, uneven nostrils, should I get surgery?

+1

A mole removal has nothing to do with the twisted nose.  When the nose is broken, the nasal bones are twisted off their normal alignment and to straighten them requires a rhinoplasty surgery.  The surgery involves resetting the nasal bones back to their normal alignment and possibly even placing a spreader graft on the concaved side.  The spreader graft is composed of the patient’s own cartilage and is inserted directly under the concaved upper lateral cartilage to give symmetry.  The base view from the nostrils also shows a bent and fractured septum which is addressed and

Broken Nose, Uneven Nostrils, Breathing Problems

+1

Your breathing problems are secondary to a deviated septum which can be corrected with a septoplasty. I encourage you to consider a  full rhinoplasty which would also eliminate the hump. Doing both at the same time would be cheaper and only one procedure would be necessary.

Nasal issue and red scar

+1

The excision of the mole certainly did not cause your breathing problem. As for your nasal fracture, it looks like you have a septal deviation which when correcteed may help your breathing.

Broken Nose, Uneven Nostrils, Should I Get Surgery?

+1

There are two separate issues in your question, so let me address each separately.

1. The breathing issue is most likley due to a septal cartilage deviation caused by breaking your nose.  This is a hard cartilage obstruction that would require a Septoplasty to remove that obstruction.  This will only affect the septum and has no influence on the outward appearance of your nose.
  2. Aesthetically the nose is large with a dorsal hump, wide bridge and a slightly widened tip.  The crooked left nostril is most likel due to a bend in the anterior septal angle which can be trimmed or straightened locally during a Septoplasty or Septo-Rhinoplasty.  The Rest of the outward, portions of the nose, can be addressed with a Closed Rhinoplasty.
  3. The chin is quite weak making the nose appear larger than it truly is on profile.  A Chin Implant would augment the chin and balance the entire lower face.

Hope this helps.

Rhinoplasty for the crooked nose.

+1

A rhinoplasty can make your nostrils more even and straighten your nose with or without removing the bump. You could also benefit from a chin implant.

Can't breathe through your nose

+1

I agree with the dermatologist, I think your crooked nose and breathing problems are the result of your broken nose, not the mole removal.  You look to be a good candidate for a functional rhinoplasty, a procedure done for primarily breathing related issues.  While the procedure will change the shape of the nose, the primary goal is to get your nose working the way it is supposed to.  

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty can correct asymmetry.

+1

Hi.

You look like a good candidate for surgery.  Your breathing should also be much improved with septal correction.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)