Is it safe to wait to Repair a Broken Nose. Can It be done after many years and many breaks?

My nose has been repeatedly and badly broken in my childhood due to rugby. The bone has been completely moved to the left side of my face. I am now 16 and hate it. Should I wait to have it done? Can It be done after so many years and so many breaks? Is it safe and not too risky to be done?

+1
  If you are fully grown, rhinoplasty can address the issues you have with your nose.

Broken nose repair

+1
Even though your nose  has been broken multiple times, it can still be straightened and repaired. It's also important to make sure there is not an existing deviated septum on the internal portion of the nose blocking air flow. A septoplasty is sometimes performed at the same time. It's also important to make sure that you're not planning any more hard contact sports after the repair. 

Repair of Broken Nose

+1
I have seen many patients who have broken their noses and presented years later to have it fixed.  If the injury is no longer acute (less than a week old), then there is no difference fixing it sooner rather than later.  As far as timing due to age, I usually like to wait until a person has grown well past the early pubertal phases and has taken on a more mature facial structure.  This is different for everybody.  If the nose is severely disfigured or there is significant airway obstruction it may be best to proceed in the near future. 

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Age for Repair of Multiple Nasal Fractures

+1
Dear hadlm~

A broken nose can be repaired many years later, even after repeated fractures.

Unless you are having significant breathing problems, it is best to wait until you have completely finished growing before undergoing a rhinoplasty. Some things I would ask a patient your age are when you had your growth spurt, how much you have grown in the last couple years, and your height and shoe size compared to other family members.

A consultation with a rhinoplasty surgeon will give you a better idea of your options and the best time to proceed.

Amy Hsu

Amy K Hsu, MD