Broken Nose a Year Ago and New Soft Bump, is It Permanent, Rhinoplasty Options?

11 months since I broke my nose. The break came after an impact to the right side of my nose that left a mild dent. Also, weirdly enough, I formed a new SOFT little bump that is visible from my right profile. My Q's: -Is this new bump permanent? It is soft bone and when I press on it it goes away. Could it be swelling? I periodically "flatten it out" and wonder if it would go away if I left it alone. -Am I a good candidate for reconstructive rhinosplasty and what are the options?

Bump on the nose after nasal fracture

+2

Thanks for the question. After a broken nose, the nasal bones can appear indented, widened, deviated to the side or unchanged, depending on the location of the nasal fracture and the direction and force of the impact. After a broken nose, the hump on the bridge can certainly appear enlarged. Typically in these cases, the bump on the nose is firm, as it is due to the shape of the underlying bone or cartilage. It is challenging to evaluate the "soft bump" you are describing without examining you in person. By 11 months out from your fracture, I would expect that any focal area of swelling would have resolved. I would recommend that you seek a consultation with a rhinoplasty surgeon to determine the cause of this irregularity on your bridge and whether you would be a candidate for reconstructive rhinoplasty or some other intervention. 

Regards,

Dr. Mehta

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump from broken nose 1 year ago likely permanent

+1

Since it has been a year after the injury and fracture to the nose, the bump is going to be permanent. On the side of the nose it is most likely a bump related to the upper lateral cartilage and not bone. Options include reducing the nasal fracture, straightening any irregularities of the upper lateral cartilage, and filing irregularities and bumps down across the bridge. This can all be done through a closed rhinoplasty procedure under general anesthesia as an outpatient surgery. You will most likely need a cast on your nose for a week postoperatively.  

New Bump 11 Months after Broken Nose

+1

It is impossible to determine the cause of your "new soft bump" 11 months after you broke your nose without examining you. A rhinoplasty could be done after you and an experieced surgeon determine the cause of the bump and what you want to change

Dent and compressible mass following nasal trauma

+1

IT sounds as if you may have a small cyst or fluid collection or edema as the site of the fracture. Revision may require drainage or excision. The dent or depression may require a camouflage graft.

Nasal fracture now a bump

+1

Without an exam it is hard to say. But, if you have a new bump this may be as easy as a gentle rasp to file it down.

A year after nasal fracture, bumps and dents are there to stay

+1

In the best of situations reduction and repair of a nasal fracture should take place within the first week after injury so things don't get 'stuck' in the wrong position. A bump over the nasal bridge can be due to healing bone, and can go away. But after a year if imperfections persist they are there to stay. An open reduction even months later can still straighten the nose and resolve imperfections and is the best option.

peterejohnsonmd

Broken nose options.

+1
You need to see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can examine your nose and discuss your options.

Bump on nose after nasal injury

+1

Dear SF67,

This is most likely due to the injury; however, any swelling should have resolved by now.  Knowing the exact cause of the bump is tough to know without the ability to examine you, so I would encourage you to be evaluated by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can provide advise on how to proceed.

Good luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Nasal Fractures

+1

For the best cosmetic outcome, It is best to treat nasal fractures as soon after the accident as possible.  The new soft bump on your nose could be nasal cartilage or scar tissue.  This is best treated with a standard rhinoplasty.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon