Broken Nose. Want a Very Natural Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I was hit on the left side of my nose and it caused that side of my nose to be slightly indented. I went to an ENT doctor and he told me he could fix my nose to help my breathing but as far as how it looked on the outside there wasnt anything he could do, he mentioned that the cartilage that was damaged. I'm not looking to get a new nose. I dont want anything filed or chiseled. I just want that side to be pushed out so it's even with the right side if that makes sense. What are your thoughts?

Rhinoplasty following a broken nose

+1

I would recommend seeking the advice of an experienced and board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she will be able to assess your nose in person and make recommendations. It is likely the appearance of your nose can be improved. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Broken noses don't always result in crooked noses, sometimes the cartilage is damaged

+1

The top 1/3 of the nose is bone, the lower 2/3 is cartilage. A classical "broken" nose is when the top 1/3 or the bony pyramid is shifted to the side. Sometimes one of the bones gets pushed in or cartilage below that, called the upper lateral cartilage can also get pushed in. This can be corrected by moving the bone out by "out-fracture" and/or grafts of your own cartilage called spreader grafts or onlay grafts.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Nasal Trauma

+1

Both issues (breathing and appearance) can be addressed if you see a facial plastic surgeon (who is usually trained in both ENT/head and neck surgery trained and facial plastic surgery).  It appears that the bone is pushed in on the side in the region of the nasal valve.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can best assist you in addressing both aspects and achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Broken nose and natural rhinoplasty

+1

It appears from the pictures that the nose was fractured and there may be a inwardly deviated left nasal bone and corresponding left upper lateral cartilage. Repairing this nose to  look natural would involve osteotomies possible left-sided  spreader graft, and filing down  any hump that may have occurred from the injury itself. This can all be done under close rhinoplasty techniques as an outpatient procedure.

Broken nose. Wants natural rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for your questions and photos.

It is alway difficult to give a very precise answer to this sort of problem without a complete nasal examination. Having said that it should be possible to restore your nose to its original shape before being changed by the recent trauma.  Seek out a consultation with another board certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience with this sort of problem.  Best of luck.

Donald M. Brown, MD

Your nose is fixable

+1

The collapsed side of your nose could be corrected with some cartilage grafting and possible osteotomy to reposition the bony vault if necessary.

C. Carson Huynh, MD, DMD
Atlanta Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Fix Appearance and Function after Nasal Fracture

+1

Restoring nasal appearance and function after trauma can and should be done at the same time. The collapse on 1 side probably compromises nasal breathing. 

Natural rhinoplasty with

+1

You should be able to get the above IF you go to a very experienced surgeo who does natural noses and does not overdo noses. 

Repair nose indentation from prior fracture

+1

You should be able to have the left sided indentation treated using a spreader graft. This helps to re-support the collapsed area that was injured during your nasal fracture.

Learn more about spreader grafts at my web reference link below:

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Fixing the Dent on the Nose

+1

If all you want is to fix a dent, there are several possibilities here including nonsurgical rhinoplasty, outfracture, and cartilage grafting depending upon exam and goals.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA