Rhinoplasty for Broken Nose?

About 3 years ago I fell and broke my nose. However I didn't seek medical advice at the time. It didn't bleed or anything but it just got pushed out of shape. I have no breathing difficulties either.

Now, the middle part of my nose is pushed to the left while the very top and bottom of my nose is straight. This gives my nose a kind of a "C" shape. I would really like to straighten it out. Will a Rhinoplasty surgery fix this issue? Will I have to have my nose re-broken to fix this?

Rhinoplasty can straighten nose

+1

A rhinoplasty can be performed to straighten this type of a nose. This is also known as an open reduction of a nasal fracture or an old nasal fracture with malunion of the nasal bones. The nasal bones do need to be reset and straightened, and the nose does have to be rebroken to fix this problem. A cast will need to be applied across the bridge of the nose for a week after the procedure.

"C" shaped nasal deformities

+1

"C" shaped nasal deformities are the most difficult rhinoplasties I encounter. There is a memory to the septal deformity that is always present in my experience. I correct the septal deformity as best possible with a septoplasty and perform lateral and medial osteotomies (re-break in lay terms). There is as much as a 10% chance that there will be some shift back in the same direction in the healing process. Sorry!

James H. Fuller, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting a "C" shaped nasal deformity

+1

Correcting a "C" shaped nasal deformity often requires a Rhinoplasty surgery. Typically, cartilage is harvested from the nasal septum and used to straighten the middle vault of the nose by various grafting techniques. Often times, the nasal bones are mobilized (re-broken) to help achieve a straighter appearance. Twisted or crooked nasal cartilage is tricky and has a memory, this means once it bends it likes to stay that way, this makes long term correction of a very twisted nose more difficult.

Jenifer L. Henderson, MD
Silverdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can fix a C-shaped nose with Rhinoplasty and Non-surgical Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear JPW,

Feel free to post a picture, and we can all give you better advice.

Crooked noses are difficult challenges in rhinoplasty surgery often requiring osteotomies (re-breaking nose), or cartilage, "spreader-grafts"

If the deformity is subtle, permanent injectable fillers placed on the concave side with topical anesthetic can often be a rewarding fix with no downtime.

I hope this is helpful, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon