Can a broken nose be repaired years after incident?

Hello I am 17 but had a sport-related injury( a dodge ball) to my nose when I was in the 3rd grade and it wasn't obvious at the time with the swelling so no one made it a big deal. In the years that follow I begain to notice my nose become a different shape and has gotten harder to breathe right especially when sick.now my nose has changed so much that it has made me insecure. I cannot wear glasses due to the bump that has formed in those years. Please help. I will greatly appreciate it.

I had my rhinoplasty 20 years after my accident.

+2
Dear Morabis18;

Certainly, young men have multiple injuries to their faces in athletic contests. Your case is not unusual. For instance, I broke my nose playing soccer when I was 17. But I had a rhinoplasty at age 38 because by that time, I got tired of looking at the bump on my nose, the slight crookedness and the bulbous tip.I am glad I had it done. Having rhinoplasty was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

If you are not comfortable with your appearance or you are having an issue with poorly fitting glasses, you have several good reasons to seek consultation for cosmetic surgery. Now is the time, because at 17, you are healthy and it is very appropriate because it is unlikely your face will change. Your adolescence is complete.

Study the subject of rhinoplasty. Consult with surgeons whose practice is primarily rhinoplasty. Visit my and other doctors' websites who are similarly specialized, and you will learn a lot. There is a lot of good information out there and it's all free.

I am a big fan of cosmetic surgery books. I wrote two books (listed below) for prospective patients just like you to bring patients up to speed, learn the right questions and learn in depth about the subject. Other doctors also have written books. When you check out the websites, look for websites with a lot of before and after photos. See if you can detect how natural the noses look. When noses look natural, you will understand why patients are happy.

Computer imaging should be a very important part of your consultation. You need to see what the doctor believes can be delivered and you need to be comfortable with what you see. Ask to see other examples of other patients who have had the same nose issues as you.

The consultation process is extremely important, so you want to do it well. You will learn from each consultation so take notes. Bring a friend or family member with you, because the more eyes and ears you have in the room, the more information you will take home.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Over 4,500 nasal procedures performed
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Repairing Broken Nose Years after Trauma

+2
A rhinoplasty surgeon can straighten a crooked nose and improve breathing whether the problems are secondary to an inherited condition or previous trauma. If the deviation was caused by the previous injury you will achieve a better result if the surgery is done now as opposed to intervention when you were in the 3rd grade.

You can repair damage done to your nose years later

+2
It usually is possible to treat the effects of prior nasal injury (fracture or other trauma) years after the incident.

There are many aspects to rhinoplasty surgery including the issues you're having with breathing that should be evaluated.

Your surgeon would ultimately need to examine your nose, including the inside to assess what is going on and what can be done to repair the damage.

You can check out my web reference link below to read more about nasal hump removal and to see some before and after photos of other rhinoplasty patients.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty for broken nose repair

+2
Rhinoplasty for broken nose repair can be performed many years later after the injury. Medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones will be required the straight and narrow the  bridge line. The hump can be shaved off which is composed of both bone and cartilage. Sometimes a cartilaginous spreader graft is inserted  on the concave side to give symmetry and improved breathing. Fracturing of the septum creates a deviated nasal septum which also must be repaired to improve breathing. For many examples of crooked nose repair, please see the link below

Fractured nose repair can be done years later.

+2
Fractured nose repair can be done years later based on my 35 years of doing this. Select a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural noses. 

Repair

+2
The straight forward answer is Yes your nose can functionally and cosmetically be improved in one operation.  Go on consults with board certified Plastic Surgeons in your area until you find one you are comfortable with and have the procedure done

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Repair of broken nose

+2
There is no time limit for correction of broken nose. We would like to wait some time for the swelling to subside after the trauma but old injuries can be corrected with much success.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2
What you described can frequently be cosmetically and functionally improved. It is generally recommended that nasal surgery be delayed until after 16-17 for a female and after 17-18 for a male. Waiting until then usually allows the nose to reach its adult size.

Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure with you and your parents may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+2
Sorry to hear about your dodge ball incident I always hated that game.  Anyway based on the description provided it sounds like a rhinoplasty procedure would help all of the issues you are dealing with.  Contact a local plastic surgeon with your parents to discuss your concerns.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Can a broken nose be repaired years after incident

+1
Yes, a rhinoplasty can be repaired many years after the injury!  A surgeon who performs rhinoplasty can surgically repair the fracture and the breathing issues.