Will a broken nose from my teenage years make rhinoplasty difficult?

Hi I am a boy and I am 18 years old. When I was 15 years i broke my nose and it became Crooked, now I want a rhinoplasty to fix it. But I have heard that a nose that was been broken in the teenage years is more difficult to correct in the adulthood, is it true? will this nasal fracture in the teenage years, have an effect on a rhinoplasty in the adulthood?

+2
About 25% of my patients have some type of trauma or previous rhinoplasty.  This will not be an issue.

Rhinoplasty to fix a broken and crooked nose

+2
It is certainly acceptable undergo a rhinoplasty to straighten a broken nose from 3 years ago. It's important to go to  a rhinoplasty surgeon who has extensive experience repairing crooked noses. Performing a rhinoplasty after a previous fracture does not make it any more difficult.

Rhinoplasty commonly performed for previously broken noses

+2
Rhinoplasty surgery is quite often performed from traumatic noses. Not sure where you heard that information, but I don't agree. You may not able able to have your nose look exactly like ti did before the trauma, but most likely improvements can be made. That said, one of the hardest improvements to make surgically is to straighten a crooked nose. See a surgeon who has significant experience in rhinoplasty surgery.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Previous nasal fracture

+2
A previous nasal bone or septal fracture (broken nose) can increase the complexity of rhinoplasty surgery. However, if you are having surgery years after the injury, the broken bone or cartilage has healed itself rendering it more predictable to manipulate during surgery. In some instances, a broken nose that results in severe deformity of the bones or cartilages may require more complex maneuvers during rhinoplasty to straighten or support the nose. That being said, most surgeons that perform rhinoplasty frequently will be able to adjust their technique for any underlying deformities they find during surgery. You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your goals for surgery and also your concerns given your previous history of nasal trauma.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Rhinoplasty after Previous Broken Nose

+2
The procedure may be more difficult but you will have a good result as long as you select an experienced rhinoplasty specialist. It is not unusual for patients to come in with a similar history.

Will a broken nose from my teenage years make rhinoplasty difficult...

+2
Terminology can be confusing when it comes to nasal surgery. A broken nose doesn't need rhinoplasty, it simply needs an open reduction of the nasal fracture to straighten it. If you have other concerns about the nose like a bump or wide tip, then rhinoplasty can be performed at the same time. It is not necessarily more difficult to correct a broken nose in adulthood as compared to the teenage years. If you are in a lot of contact sports I would suggest waiting until that is over unless you are having problems breathing. Be sure to see a plastic surgeon who specializes in nasal fracture repair and rhinoplasty when considering surgery.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septorhinoplasty

+2
Due to the previous nasal fracture you will probably need to have a septorhinoplasty performed. This is a combination procedure addressing both function and aesthetics of the nose. Upon consultation and direct examination your surgeon will be able to further discuss your surgical plan. As far as the fracture and rhinoplasty it is not a surgical concern for any surgeon with expertise in this area. Nasal fractures are common in patients seeking rhinoplasty surgery and I certainly see more in my male patients. It is important that your surgeon knows your past history so this may be addressed during your consultation and procedure. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD