Broken Nose from a Decade Ago Which Requires Straightening?

I have a broken nose from a decade ago which isn't visible but can be felt in my nostrils. It interferes with my breathing and is broken somewhere from the lower half to the bottom tip of my nose. Its caused me stress and makes it hard to focus on anything because I seem to be gasping for air. its hard breathing through my mouth as it dries out my throat. how much would a procedure to straighten my nose cost? How long does the procedure usually takes? does it require surgery? thankyou

Septoplasty surgery will improve your breathing

+2

Nasal surgery - called a septoplasty - is likely required to restore proper internal functioning of your nose, particularly if the nasal trauma/fracture occurred 10 years ago.

Good News:  Septoplasty surgery is very straightforward both in how it's performed and the nature of your recovery.

More Good News: The cost of this type of surgery to improve your airway is often covered by insurance. A simple septoplasty surgery may take anywhere from 1/2 -1 hours to perform.

Good luck!

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Straightening a crooked nose

+2

Straightening a crooked nose would require surgery to correct. There are many factors that can lead to impaired breathing, and a thorough in-person exam would be necessary to determine the cause of your issue. If your breathing problems are due to a deviated septum, a septoplasty would be necessary. I would recommend seeking out a consultation with an experienced and board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He/she will be able to evaluate your nose in person and answer all of your questions. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Ask for a consultation

+2

At this point it is difficult to really know where the problem lies from the previous trauma to your nose. The trouble you describe with your breathing could be due to many different areas in your nose such as a deviated (crooked) septum, enlarged turbinates, narrowed nasal valves. The only way to know is to get a thorough evaluation and examination of the inside of your nose with a facial plastic surgeon. A septoplasty to correct a crooked septum usually takes about an hour to perform and is often covered by insurance. Out of pocket cost would roughly be about $2000-3000. If more extensive surgery was required to correct other problem areas the procedure (rhinoplasty) could be longer and cost up to $5000-6000. However, your problem may not require surgery at all and could simply be resolved by nasal steroid sprays alone. Visit with a facial plastic surgeon who has experience in septoplasty and rhinoplasty procedures for a consultation.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD