Can a Broken Nose Be Fixed Five Years After the Incident?

I've broken my nose in 8th grade and I am now going to be an incoming senior in high school. I have a problem breathing in my right nostril. Is there anything that can be done?

How to fix a broken nose

+2

Hi Jeremiah, thanks for the question... When a patient suffers a broken nose, there is a period of around 2-3 weeks after the fracture during which time the nasal bones can be "popped back into place", what we call a closed reduction of a nasal fracture. Once this initial period has passed, the nasal bones heal in the new position, typically 6-8 weeks after the fracture.

If you are having persistent difficulty breathing and your nose is crooked 5 years later, a reconstructive rhinoplasty, sometimes called a functional rhinoplasty or nasal reconstruction, may be appropriate. The difficulty breathing can be related to a deviated septum, enlarged turbinates, or collapse of the internal valves of the nose, what we call vestibular stenosis. Procedures such as a septoplasty, turbinate reduction, or spreader graft placement could help your breathing. Refracturing your nasal bones with osteotomies can help bring everything back into alignment, improving both the form and function of your nose. 

Typically, insurance coverage can be obtained for cases like yours so do your homework and find a rhinoplasty specialist who is in-network with your insurance company. Also, you may want to consider medical treatment such as nasal steroid sprays (Flonase, Nasonex, Rhinocort, etc.) as these can help reduce the swelling of the inner lining of the nose, in case you have nasal allergies

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken Nose and Surgery

+1

Hi Jeremiah

You are an ideal candidate for a nose job to fix a functional problem.

The blocked right nostril is most likely due to a deviated septum and inferior turbinate enlargement. 

Without seeing your photos, it sounds like you need a septoplasty as well as your nose being rebroken and set in a better position.

Good luck

Pouria 

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Fixing Nose 5 Years after Fracture

+1

Your nasal fractures can be repaired 5 years after the accident, improving the appearance and nasal breathing. Select an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon so you achieve a natural result.

A Broken Nose can be fixed years later

+1

A broken nose can be fixed many years after the accident. You probably have a severe septal deviation and it is usually fixed at surgery. Improvement will surely occur.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Fixing your breathing and broken nose.

+1

If you're having breathing issues after trauma that can be surgically addressed and insurance often covers this sort of thing.  If it's from the broken nasal bones they would need to be broken again.  This can definitley be improved.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon