Does a Broken Nose Complicate a Rhinoplasty?

I broke my nose in college...more than 10 year ago. Ever since, I can't breathe out of one nostril, and my nose has a slight bump. Does this past breakage of my nose have any possible affect on the nose surgery? Does it add complexity or risk?

Nasal fracture may not complicate Rhinoplasty

+2

Important factors to consider regarding Rhinoplasty on the previously fractured nose: the severity of the break,  whether the nose is displaced, number of times broken, number of times 'reset'. If the fracture was minor and non-displaced, the Rhinoplasty would not be more complex. Much of this can be determined on the exam. Remember, it is easier to correct an upper nasal deformity (bony) than a curvature at the middle vault or tip (cartilaginous ). Dr. G

Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treating a fractured nose.

+2

There is no doubt that it potentially complicates the surgery. Fractures do not always heal with a bony union which means they can heal with a fibrous or rubbery like union. In the course of a rhinoplasty, rearranging the bones can make them unstable and this may be difficult to control in the face of prior trauma and fibrous unions. In many instances, repairing a broken nose is more camouflage than actually replacing the bones in their proper place. This can involve the placement of grafts to conceal crooked or irregular bones. Improving your breathing may also involve medications in addition to surgically treating your septum, sinuses, or turbinates.

A broken nose can make rhinoplasty more complex

+2

A prior nasal fracture, especially when the nose is displaced or  twisted does indeed complicate rhinoplasty. Also, airway obstruction caused by the fracture adds complexity to the procedure. The slight bump from your fracture should cause the surgeon little trouble in shaping and refining your nose. The airway should be repaired at the time to restore balance in breathing. You will look better and breathe better as well.

peterejohnsonmd

Broken nose add to complexity of surgery?

+2

A previous broken nose certainly can add to the complexity of the surgery.  There may be significant deviation of both the nasal bones and the septum and therefore both may need to be addressed.

Does a broken nose complicate rhinoplasty

+1

A broken nose does complicate a rhinoplasty a little bit, but in experienced hands it is usually not an issue.
Look for a surgeon who has performed many, many rhinoplasties in their career and chances are they have
performed many rhinoplasties on crooked noses. Look also for someone who can address the deviated septum at the same time which is usually billed to your medical insurance out of medical necessity.

Only slightly

+1

A prior nasal fracture can make rhinoplasty more difficult. But a good preoperative exam and surgical plan can help to avoid complications and ensure that any bony and/or septal trauma you may have incurred is recognized and corrected. Ensuring that your rhinoplastic surgeon is experienced in treating prior nasal trauma will help in optimizing your outcome.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken Nose Complicates Rhinoplasty

+1

Although a previous fracture will make your operation more difficult, I would not be concerned if the surgery is done by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Broken Nose Complicate a Rhinoplasty

+1

In most cases Yes but it depends on many factors of the fracture, bleeding, additional medical issues. Seek 3 boarded surgeons in your area. 

Nasal trauma and rhinoplasty

+1

The fact that you had a broken nose can complicate or make the rhinoplasty more difficult. The degree of trauma and whether the fracture was severe or not are things the nasal surgeon must evaluate before the surgery. Often, the rhinoplasty can be performed without serious problems.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after broken nose

+1

Nasal trauma can make rhinoplasty more difficult.  It would be very hard to make any real assessment of your nose without seeing it.  It sounds like you might need a septoplasty in addition to the hump removal.  As others have said, make sure your surgeon is experienced with both functional and cosmetic septorhinoplasty.  I am biased being a facial plastic surgery with ENT training, but there are plenty of excellent general plastic surgeons that can perform this type of procedure.  Good luck!

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon