Broken Nose; Closed Reduction Issues? (photo)

I had a broken nose fixed with a closed reduction surgery immediately. After two weeks I got my cast removed and my nasal bone was still crooked, the surgeon applied pressure while putting me another cast and one week later (yesterday) my nose appeared to be about 80% straighter, I suggested him to repeat last week's procedure to get it completely straight as it was but he refused saying it was already straight. Should I trust him? Is it too late to do something else anyways?

Septoplasty Required

+2

Hi,

It seems to me that a spetoplasty would have solved the issue from the beginning.

However, it is not possible to do a correction at the time being. Your best bet is to be a little more patient and to let nature take its course.

When the final results are achieved (about 12 months post-op), a reasonable assessment of your surgery can be done and if a corrective surgery is required then you will be safe to go for it.

I hope this helps and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Broken nose repair

+1

Closed reduction is an option after comminuted fractures of the nose.  The risk of rebreaking the bone is that small fragments of bone may not heal and lead to a secondary problem. I would recommend waiting until the bone completely heals before jumping to a secondary rhinoplasty. Surgery90210

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Broken Nose; Closed Reduction Issues?

+1

Photo of no use. Best to seek in person second opinions in your area. Sorry for your issues. Regards 

20% of patients will require surgery after a closed reduction of their nasal fractures.

+1

Unfortunately, closed reduction of nasal fractures leads to dissatisfaction in 20% of patients. It's not possible to comment on your particular condition since your photo is with a splint in place.

Your nasal bones are likely fixed and immobile 3 weeks after your trauma. If you're having issues trusting your surgeon, get a second opinion from a reputable rhinoplasty specialist. You could get a list of certified specialists near you at abfprs.org.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken Nose

+1

Trust is a word that is so important in medicine.  Only you can answer that question about trust.  Maybe a second opinion would help you?

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal fracture

+1

Once healing is complete, then you can judge the result. Occasionally, open reduction is needed several months after the close reduction as deviated septum continues to carry the nose with it and cause the deviation of the entire nose.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal fracture closed reduction: patience with postoperative evaluation

+1

You might want to give your nose some more time to heal.

Experiencing facial trauma can be a distressing experience. That being said, it is often difficult to judge the results of closed reduction of a nasal bone fracture in the early postoperative period. It may take 6 months of healing before you can appreciate the final nasal shape, depending on the extent of damage.

It is difficult to tell whether or not your nose is straight now with your splint on, but you should follow closely with your surgeon regardless through your healing process if you have any concerns. Sometimes, nasal bones will become displaced again in the early healing phase without intranasal support or significant deviation of the nasal pyramid persists due to an uncorrected septum fracture. If you are still unhappy with the result at 6 months, that might be a better time to consider revision rhinoplasty. I hope that everything turns out well!

Jeremy B. White, MD
Aventura Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed reduction after nasal fracture

+1
At this time I would allow the healing process to take effect approximately six months and see where your recovery is. A closed reduction typically will straighten the nose however if no septal work was done then you may still have some asymmetry and require revision at a later date with a septoplasty.

Michael Elam, MD

Closed Reduction for Nasal Fracture

+1

No procedure can be guaranteed to deliver a perfectly straight nose after sustaining a nasal fracture. A closed reduction is usually sufficient but occasionally the bones will shift after reduction - particularly if the nasal septum has been dislocated and hasn't been reduced adequately. In these cases a formal rhinoplasty surgery with an associated septoplasty will usually help things out. Right now you just need to let things heal and see how they improve for at least 6 months or so. Then work with your surgeon to see what can be done if you still want more improvement.

Jon F. Harrell, DO