Was Told Just Leave Recent Broken Nose and that it had Fracture from Previous Rhinoplasty 7 Years Prior, Does that Seem Right?

Im a disabled vet & had Rhinoplasty 7 years ago at the Military Hosp.On Mon I fell on my nose it bleed for a hour the ER said the ct scan shows it broken.The plastic surgeon today said the fracture is from my last surgery & to leave it,VA wont pay due to budget.My nose/cheeks/eyes are swollen & Im in so much pain, I throw-up when I eat making the pain worse.can this be a fracture from the last surgery? I feel its broken & they dont want to pay for the surgery. I get married in 6 weeks. :(

Clinical exam best way to evaluate broken nose

+1

Clinical examination is the best way to determine whether you need a closed reduction to straighten your fractured nose.  CT scan may reveal a nasal fracture but the bones may not be displaced (crooked).  It is best to wait until the swelling is down to determine if you need treatment.  There is about a ten day window before the bones become too healed to re-shape.

Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

CT Scan to Evaluate Broken Nose

+1

I rarely find that CT scans are beneficial in diagnosing and treating a nasal fracture. Even if the scan does show a fracture, old or new, surgery is not necessary if there is no change on shape or function of the nose.  Wait until the swelling has resolved to determine what, if any, treatment is necessary.

Nose broken after previous rhinoplasty

+1

It is important to wait for all the swelling to go down before you can evaluate your nose.  If the plastic surgeon recommended leaving it alone is is doubtful that there are displaced fractures.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Broken nose on CT scan does not always mean rhinoplasty is needed

+1

So sorry to read about your fall. 

• The most important part of an examination after a trauma to the nose is the 
  • PHYSICAL EXAM .  The CT scan can be difficult to interpret. 
  • I would ask the plastic surgeon to evaluate your nose after the swelling goes down next week or get a second opinion on whether an early closed reduction is possible.   
  • Best Wishes on your wedding.

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It could be from the old fracture.  A CT scan might show if the fracture site has callous around it indicating it's old. Without that, it could be a more recent break.  My advice is not to do a Rhinoplasty 6 weeks before your wedding.  Let the nose heal, get married, take your honeymoon and when you're settled see if you still want your nose refined.   Thank you for your service to our country.  

Rhinoplasty

+1

If you fell on yoru nsoe and took -rays or a CT, and you had a previous rhinoplasty, it may be that the films show the old work done.  The best thing to do is get a physical exam. If the bones are stable then there really is nothing to do.  If the nose has been displaced it may be good to reduce it so that if you need revision it will be easier.

Broken nose

+1

If there is a fracture of the nasal bones and the bone is displaced, then you need surgery to put the bone back in place