Broken Implant. How Did This Damage Occur? (photo)

I have a broken implant sustained when my former specialist tried to remove the screw. Can I have some opinions on the damage sustained and how it could have occurred. As I am not an expert on dental implant can someone also tell me in addition to the implant being broken are the threads also worn. Please offer any other comments on the photos.

Broken Implant

+1

As the other Doctors stated, it is very rare for an implant itself to break. However, over torquing at placement could result in a weakend implant that could snap with a heavy load. More likely is the situation that the post which holds the crown to the implant is the part that broke. If this is the case there are many ways to retrieve the piece of the abutment/ screw and place a new part to fit a crown.

Hartford Cosmetic Dentist

BROKEN IMPLANTS NEED TO BE REMOVED

+1

It is unfortunate that your implant broke but this does happen.  My opinion, judging from the photos presented, is that your most posterior implant or implant component fractured due to excessive occlusal/bite forces.  The back of the mouth is where there is the most amount of stress just like the back end of a nutcracker.   I would recommend taking out this implant and replacing it with 2 implants to help reduce the stress from biting and functioning.  Good luck to you.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Implant issue

+1

Difficult to tell from your photos. But, it is very rare for an implant to fracture while tightening a screw. Implants usually break from to much stress due to the fact that not enough Implants were placed and/or the bite was not accurate. If broken, removal is the only solution.

Encino Cosmetic Dentist

Broken implant?

+1

It happens more than you would think... Sometimes an implant company will sell a kit for screw removal or retrival and that would be the first step to remove the broken screw without damaging the threads... If that can be done then a new prosthesis can be made for the implant. The reason is like any screw metal stress... defect in material, trauma, good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD      CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Broken Dental Implant

+1

From the photos it is difficult to see if the implant itself is broken or if there screw is broken off inside the implant.The imflamed tisse makes it difficult to see.  It does look like a portion of the platform or connection is fractured off.  If this is the case, it can result from either overtightening of the screw (rare), a loose abutment or heavy occlusion  "bite" on a portion of the crown.  There is no way to repair a broken implant, it must be removed and replaced. This usually does not occur with Well known implant comany's products, however there are a lot of "knock off" discount implants out there that are used because it increases the profit margin...until something like this happens. Discount product=discount results unfortunately. If it is a "name brand" implant it should be guaranteed for life.  Talk to your "specialist"

Web reference: http://drbdorfman.com

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Implant Fracture

+1

It is very rare that your implant fractured during screw removal.  Was the screw being removed due to a loose prosthetic component?  If yes then most likely the fracture may have been present prior to removal and causing the component to be loose.  If that is not the story, I not sure what to tell you.  I can say that the implant needs to be removed and replaced with a new one.  

San Ramon Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon