Options for Broken Capillaries Under the Eyes?

Hello, I would like to know what the best options are for broken capillaries under the eyes. I have quite a few small purple ones, plus one larger blue vein that I would like to eradicate with as little downtime as possible.

The problem is, the tissue under my eyes is REALLY thin, and I don't want to damage it in any way (i.e. with too strong of a laser). What are the best recommended options?

Veins under the eyes treated with laser

+1

Laser treatments can be very effective in removing spider veins around the eyes.  Pulsed dye laser is usually used or a long-pulsed Yag for blue veins.  Eye protection is a must.  Please see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for your treatment.

Toronto Dermatologist

Laser treatments effective for broken capillaries under the eyes

+1

Various laser treatments are both safe and effective treatments for under eye treatment of broken blood vessels. The pulsed dye laser (PDL) , intense pulsed light (IPL), and Long wave Nd:YAG devices can be used with good results. Because the eye area is very thin, there may be bruising following these treatments. However, often, if treated at lower settings, much of this bruising can be avoided, or at least minimized.

Ice and avoidance of aspirin, ibuprofen and other blood-thinning medications can also help to reduce bruising. More than one treatment may be needed, especially if treatments are administered at lower settings to offset the risk of bruising. Corresponding eye shields for each device should be worn during the treatment to ensure safety.

Blue veins under eye

+1

Small red veins or telangiectasias under the eye can be treated with a number of lasers. The most commonly used is the pulsed dye laser such as the Vbeam laser. A series of treatments is needed to reduce these small veins.

Larger blue veins can also be treated with lasers but a longer wavelength laser such as a 1064 nm neodynium: yag or 755 nm alexandrite. These are very powerful lasers but in experienced hands can be used to eliminate these unsightly vessels. I ask that all my patients be prepared for bruising which happens about 15% of the time and lasts one week, and swelling which will last 24-28 hours. Do not let anyone but an experienced physician treat these vessels near the eye. Ask if it is commonly done in their practice. Eye shields are needed to protect the eye.

Treatment of these blue veins can really improve the appearance of dark circles as well as enhance entire facial appearance but it must be done cautiously by an experienced phyisician who appreciates the unique nature of these veins.

Charlotte Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.