Best Laser Treatment for Broken Capillaries and Brown Spots?

What is the best laser treatment to treat this with out a lot of down time? I had a laser treatment about 8 years ago that took care of the problem quite well with just a bit of pinkness after the procedure, I have moved away from that doctor and cannot remember what laser he used, but remember wearing eye protection and the room was totally dark. I also had fraxel a couple of years ago and and got no results but scabbing and a terrible redness.

Laser for broken capillaries and brown spots

+2

I think that the best choices for your problem are either IPL (with post-procedure redness for about 1-4 days) or Pearl Laser (with post-procedure redness, scaling and mild swelling for 3-8 days). Both treatments will take care of your brown spots and skin discolorations. The Pearl Laser may add some improvement in fine lines and possibly some very mild skin tightening.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Laser treatment for broken capillaries and brown spots

+1

For the face:

We get excellent results  treating telangectasias ("Broken capillaries) with the Diolite Laser (A 532  nanometer diode laser) and very good results treating the brown spots with  an Intense Pulsed light Machine (Elos by Syneron)

For the legs:

For small telangectasias (broken capillaries), we use the Osyris Exotherme with very good results. The brown spots are more difficult to treat, but we also use the Elos for actual freckles.

If the brown spots are caused by Iron Pigment deposition (Hemosiderin), no laser will help and you should consult with a vein surgeon.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Lasers for facial vessels and brown spots

+1

I routinely treat both red vessels and brown spots at one session with a green light Laser ( Versapulse) with contact skin cooling (for safety and comfort), and a Q-switched Laser (Trivantage Alexandrite).      I find that most people get optimal results in just one or two sessions with the combination Laser technique as opposed to up to 3 sessions with an Intense Pulsed Light (IPL)source.There is a bit more swelling and some light crusting for a few more days with the Laser modalities,but the increased efficacy ,fewer treatments, and decreased costs are usually worth it.

Gerald Goldberg, MD
Tucson Dermatologist

IPL, not laser, is choice method for treating vessels and pigment together

+1

Two different lasers are needed to treat both vessels and pigment.

IPL, Intense Pulsed light, also called Photofacial, can be used to treat both pigment and vessels. Generally, pain and recovery are less with IPL than with lasers.

usually three IPL treatments spaced 6 weeks apart are required.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Lasers for spider veins and brown spots

+1

In general, lasers that are used for redness are not ideal for brown spots. A non-laser light source such as an intense pulsed light source (IPL) can be used to treat both of those problems. Using an intense pulsed light source generally requires multiple treatments but there is no downtime associated with it. The Fraxel laser is a wonderful laser to improve the quality of skin and fine lines, but it does not necessarily work well on brown spots and it is generally not effective in treating blood vessels.

David Goldberg, MD

Best lasers for spider veins and brown spots

+1

The right answer is that there is no right or wrong laser, and depends on the experience of the laser center and the array of lasers they have to treat all of the conditions you mention. You are describing, "matting" with telangiectasias and hyperpigmentation from treatment failure or underlying associated venous reflux disease - that is if these are in your legs.

You don't specify in your question where these lesions are (legs, face). If it is in your legs, you need to be evaluated by a phlebologist (vein specialist) and not at a 'laser center' which provides an array of laser care for out of pocket care. All of the points made by others are legitimate and depend on what the underlying factors are if other medical causes or underlying contributing factors have been accounted for such as venous reflux disease, truncal or perforator, vaicose veins, reticular veins, feeder veins, etc.

There are good phlebologists today in almost every city and state in the U.S. Choose someone who treats the WHOLE gamut of vein problems - spider veins, reticular veins, perforator veins, varicose vein, etc and provides all (or almost all) of the treatment options such as lasers, sclerotherapy, microphlebectomy, TRIVEX, SEPS procedure, open perforator ligation, VNUS Closure, EVLT, and so on. Going to a local 'comercial laser center' is not the way to go.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon