What Causes Broken Capillaries After Laser Treatment?

In the past I have had laser treatments for broken capillaries on my face. The first treatment I have been unresponsive. The second treatment is where I have problems. After the bruising and swelling subsides I am left with new broken capillaries. I have been treated by my regular doctor and a "cosmetic surgeon". Why is this happening? Could the settings be to high on the second treatment? In both situations the doctors were unwilling to help.

Lasers should not make the problem worse

+1

This is a very difficult question to answer. I have 38 different laser and energy devices in my office so I have no idea what laser was used for your condition. In addition, each laser can be set with different energy levels as well as diameters, pre and/or post cooling and pulse durations. In general, a properly performed laser treatment should NOT make the problem worse or leave you with more blood vessels. I would advise seeing a laser surgeon who has more than one laser and enough experience to evaluate your problem .

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

New broken blood vessels or telangiectasia after laser treatments

+1

There may not be a direct correlation between your new broken blood vessels or telangiectasia after laser treatments. Anything that makes you flush can create new telangiectasia, e.g. hot, spicy food, alcohol, caffeine, excessive sun exposure. Diode 532 nm laser or V beam should be effective to minimize broken blood vessels. IPL photofacial treatments are more helpful to reduce overall rosy complexion and sun spots.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

New capillaries are unusual after facial blood vessel treatment with V-beam laser

+1

There are many different lasers used for facial redness and without knowing your skin type and the laser and its settings used, it is impossible to answer your question.  It is extremely rare to develop more blood vessels after V-beam laser. If however, you developed an excessive reaction, blister, or scab after the laser, which is very, very rare, then as the body heals, the skin produces more blood vessels to help bring more oxygen to the area for a more speedy recovery. These vessels often fade. There are many variables that can be changed on the laser to try to give you a better result the next treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Worsening of broken capillaries after laser treatments

+1

Worsening of broken capillaries following laser  is usually a result of the healing process. There are lasers that can erase the borken capillaries such as BBL or PDL lasers. I am not sure why you are bruising from the laser. If you are using a PDL or pulsed dye laser then the endpoint is sometimes bruising.  I would recommend trying a lower setting or using a broadband light or fotofacial light based treatment to treat your capillaries. This laser almost never bruises and shouldnt make you worse!

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist