Can Broken Capilaries on the Face Be Treated with Medication?

Facial telangiectasias

+1

There are different types of lasers that are used to treat facial veins, They are very stubborn and may need multiple treatments,

Buffalo General Surgeon

No, lasers work bet

+1

Lasers works best for facial veins, such as the pulse dye laser (PDL).  Make sure you find an experienced dermatologic surgeon.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Laser is best

+1

Laser is the best option to treat facial veins.  At my office I have a few different lasers depending on the location of your facial veins.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Medication for treatment of telangiectasias

+1

Unfortunately, there are no medications (oral or topical)  for the treatment telangiectasias.  For our patients, we have found the best treatments involve various lasers or IPL treatment.  You can help exacerbating the vessels by wearing sunscreen and doing your best not to acquire new sun damage that can worsen the condition. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Lasers work best to treat capillaries on the face

+1

Lasers work the best to treat broken capillaries or telangiectases on the face.  Visible telangiectases on the face are dilated capillaries that develop due to sun exposure, family history (such as rosacea), or they can appear without any underlying cause.  The best way to treat them is to eliminate them with a laser that targets the blood vessels-- such as pulsed dye laser (VBeam) or intensed pulsed light (IPL).

Unfortunately, topical medications do not work to reverse the process of broken capillaries.  Patients have reported temporarily constricting the blood vessels with topical medications such as Afrin -- but of course, this is temporary and a rebound effect can occur where the blood vessels become more engorged and red-- so I don't recommend it.  Green tinted makeup is helpful for covering the redness.  Some medications for Rosacea can reduce new blood vessels from forming.  In addition, sunscreen is a must-- they definitely help to prevent further worsening of the broken capillaries.

I would recommend that you see a board certified dermatologist for a consultation to discuss your options for medical and laser treatments.

Dr. Margaret Mann

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Treating broken capillaries on the face

+1

In my opinion, a laser treatment would be the best way to treat your condition. There's very little that can be done for vessels with any cream or topical gel currently on the market. The best thing you can do is consult with your doctor to figure out what laser treatment he or she would recommend for your issue.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Topicals and broken capillaries

+1

Unfortunately broken capillaries on the face are usually not amendable to treatment with topical creams. They occur due to familial predisposition, such as rosacea or due to significant sun exposure leading to destruction of collagen, which is a main supporting structure in our skin for these tiny blood vessels so they become more prominent over time.

The best treatments for these vessels are laser/light devices such as pulse dye and intense pulse light or diode laser. However, in theory, any topical treatments that help to rebuild skin collagen and re-strengthen the reinforcement of the capillaries can reduce their appearance with long-term use. Such creams are retinoids, antioxidant moisturizers (e.g., Vit C and E creams) and sun protective sunscreen. Good luck.

Marianna Blyumin-Karasik, MD
Hollywood Dermatologist