Just Broken my Nose and it's Full of Blood: How Can I Clean it?

Broken noses need a medical visit

+1

If you've broken your nose, you should see an MD.  It is important to make sure you don't have a collection of blood around the septum which is the midline cartilage in the nose.  This type of collection of blood needs to be drained to avoid further complications. If there is blood in the nasal passages, gently rinsing the nose with a saline (salt water) solution should gradually clear out the dried blood.  Blowing your nose will tend to increase bleeding during the initial few days. Depending on how severe the nose has been injured, it could take several days for the crusts and blood to clear.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.