Need Septo-rhinoplasty After Broken Nose

I fainted and broke my nose - it has now been almost 2 weeks and both ENTs that I visited told me I should get a facial plastic surgeon to perform a septorhinoplasty. My question is if this can be done 2 weeks after a nose break and what will be involved? osteotomy to break the bones that are healing already?

Yes, rhinoplasty can be done

+1

There are two theories of thought regarding nasal trauma.  One advocates operating as soon as the acute swelling subsides while the other advocates waiting 6 months to a year after the injury.  In my experience, rhinoplasty can be done with excellent results in a short time frame after the injury. 

I do recommend seeing several surgeons who perform rhinoplasty to get their input.  Whether or not osteotomies are needed depends on the extent of your injuries.  One caveat, if you wait too long some insurance companies will deem the entire surgery as cosmetic and they would not cover the procedure.

Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septo-rhinoplasty to repair broken nose

+1

A septorhinoplasty is usually undertaken and is best done sooner rather than later after a broken nose. Most of the time when nose bones are broken, the septum is broken as well. The surgery should be performed under general anesthesia and straightened to allow optimal breathing through both nasal passageways as well as realigning the nasal pyramid through osteotomies. A cast will be applied across the nasal bridge to stabilize the nasal bones in their new place. The only way to reset the nose is through osteotomies and it is best to have these done prior to the nose healing in a crooked fashion. There is no packing placed inside the nose and this can all be done through a closed rhinoplasty technique.

Rhinoplasty after broken nose

+1

Usually during the acute phase( now) the nose if significantly deviated can be centralized.  Any fine detail work should be avoided for at least 6 months until the bones have solidified.

Surgery after Broken Nose

+1

You can have surgery to correct the broken nose and make any other changes as soon as swelling has resolved. Schedule a consultation for evaluation by a rhinoplasty surgeon and discuss your goals. He/she will advise you rearding the possible need for osteotomies.

Timing for correction of recently broken nose

+1

I typically wait one week after the injury to correct a broken nose.  By then the swelling is minimal enough so that the surgery can be performed.

If you wait too long (4 weeks or longer), the crooked bone will heal and will require re-breaking. My recommendation is to have your surgery soon.

Good luck.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Surgery after broken nose

+1

Bone "heals" and sets within a week or so. If you haven't had it straightended in that period of time, it is best to wait until all the swwelling goes down to get the best eventual result for yourself. If it is quite crooked and you can't breathe, you can do it much sooner. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Septo-rhinoplasty after broken nose

+1

Two weeks is a perfect time to have this corrected in a operation. Without photos or an examination I could only guess if fracturing is needed. Go seek another expert opinion.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Rhinoplasty Surgery may be necessary after nasal trauma.

+1

If you break your nose and this results in a crooked appearance, I usually like to perform a "closed reduction" of the nasal fracture within the first 2 weeks in the office. After 2 weeks, it becomes difficult or impossible to realign your nasal bones, and an "open reduction" with osteotomies may become necessary. You may need your septum straightened if you have significant nasal obstruction, on one side, after your trauma. Septo-rhinoplasty surgery should be performed after all visible swelling has gone. This may require another month or 2 of observation.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait at least a month after broken nose

+1

In general, after a significant break, we tell patients to wait a month before surgery to fix the nose. In this way we can be sure that we are not looking at significant swelling in our examination, and also allows for any temporary bumps to settle down.

Either way, make sure you see a surgeon whose practice is largely rhinoplasty because broken and twisted noses can oftentimes be the most dificult to correct.

All the best and feel free to let us know if we can be of any more help.

Warm Regards.

Peyman Solieman, MD

Repair of Nasal Fracture

+1

Hi,

Difficult to answer you question without examining your nose.  Make sure that you have the cause of your fainting episode properly evaluated.

Displaced nasal bones can usually be "reset" with a closed nasal reduction up to 18 days after trauma without having to perform osteotomies.  Once you are beyond 3 weeks from injury,  it is best to allow all of your swellingand inflammation to completely resolve for a few months before having septorhinoplasty.  At that late date, osteotomies will be required to move displaced bones back in place.

Good luck and be well.

Michael A. Persky, MD