I Broke my Nose when I Was 12 and Still Have a Bump- What Can I Do?

I was skiing- a woman wrapped her arms around me from behind to stop herself, we fell backwards and her poles pushed my nose upward. My nose is not large and previously looked a bit like a ski jump (lovely irony) but has had a bump in the middle ever since the accident 10 years ago. I was told by a plastic surgeon at the time that it would gradually become less obvious and return to normal but it hasn't.

Surgical correction can help you

+1
It is very common for patients to have trauma to their nose as a child or teenager that has not been corrected and left them with some sort of deformity. Having a traumatic hump, as we call it, is very common. This is typically addressed through an open reduction of a nasal fracture which can involve realigning the bones of the nose or the cartilage to correct previous deformity. This can include removing a traumatic bump from the past. Determining if you are a good candidate for this begins by meeting with a facial plastic surgeon to both evaluate what trauma has occurred as well as determine the best treatment course. 

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

My broken nose 12 years ago still has a bump, what can I do?

+1

Sounds like you have a bump from the nasal bone fractures that would require a Rhinoplasty to remove...most likely through a closed Rhinoplasty.

Treatment for bump on the nose

+1

Many times the bump on the nose following trauma will go down but if the trauma was severe enough there may permanent changes to the nasal bones.  These may need to be addressed at later time.  This would be an excellent time to evaluate the entire nose such as tip width and shape, etc. and any breathing problems.  I find that photo computer evaluation of the nose is very helpful both for the surgeon and the patient. Choose your surgeon carefully and ask to see previous patients results to evaluate his/her artistic sense.    Dr Brown.

Donald M. Brown, MD

Bump on nose

+1

Rhinoplasty with smoothing of the bump will take care of this problem. At your consult your surgeon will discuss with you if any other maneuvers on the nose (tip work, bone reset) would be beneficial in keeping a balance and harmonized look.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for nasal hump.

+1

This is treated with a rhinoplasty to remove the bump and reset the bones. The tip can be refined if needed. There is no other way to do this.

Rhinoplasty will correct the problem

+1

Rhinoplasty will correct this problem.  Be sure to study your nose prior to any consultation so that you know exactly what bothers you.  Make sure to look at before and after pictures to see if you like the surgeons work.  See several different surgeons to get different opinions.  Board Certification by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery is preferred.  Good luck.

Dr. Pippin

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Doesn't sound too bad

+1

It sounds like your deformity may be able to be addressed through an endonasal or "closed" approach.  This would minimize your downtime while giving you a nice result.  That being said, you need to have a discussion with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in order to understand how changing one aspect of your nose can affect other aspects.  Computerized imaging can be a big help with this.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal bumps after a fracture

+1

After a nasal fracture there can be bleeding in the site of the break and a 'callous' will form. Your doctor is right in that the bump is often temporary, though sometimes not. If your nose is otherwise OK the bump can be removed and shaped without difficulty. Your insurance may come into play if you have documentation of your past accident and treatment.

peterejohnsonmd

How to Fix a Hump After Trauma

+1

Kate,

Without seeing your nose in person I can't say for sure, but, I would speculate that you are an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty.  Hump removal is the single most common type of rhinoplasty I perform.  Whether the hump is natural, the result of trauma, or some combination of both, the procedure should have a high success rate and typically can be done without any external incisions (closed approach).

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal bumps from fractures may not go away

+1
Nasal fractures are quite common.  Your particular trauma is a little less common.  Fixing the bump on your nose will require a rhinoplasty.  However, if you are only concerned with the bump on the bridge of your nose, lowering of the bone and any cartilage that is contributing to the bump can be performed by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon relatively easily.  "Keep your tip up"!  (definitely no pun intended)    Dr. Schoenfeld

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon