I Broke my Nose Yesterday. Good Time for Nose Job?

I feel yesterday and broke my nose. I went to the doctor and had xrays done which showed it was fractured. I was referred to an ENT. I have a nose like Barbara Streisand and I have always kind of wanted a nose job. Would now be a good time to get one?

Opportunity For Total Rhinoplasty At Time Of Nasal Fracture Repair ?

+2

Doing a total nose change at the time of a bony fracture repair seems like a logical opportunity and it may be so. It would depend on how significant the nasal fracture is and what type of symptoms it is causing. It would also depend on what type of aesthetic rhinoplasty changes you need. You should get an early evaluation now but it will be necessary to let the swelling and bruising subside for at least four to six weeks before deciding whether a combined approach is advised.

Rhinoplasty After A Broken Nose

+1

The most important thing is making sure that your initial nose injury is taken care of. If you don’t have any nasal septal hematoma or if there is no significant deviation one does not need to do anything and then can re-evaluate at 6-8 weeks. If there is significant deviation or significant functional problems, one should have it fixed within the first 5-7 days. The earliest one should perform a rhinoplasty after a nasal fracture is probably 2-3 months after the injury and should be done at the hands of an experienced Board Certified Rhinoplasty Surgeon.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Cosmetic nose job after accidental nasal fracture

+1

It is certainly acceptable to undergo repair of the nasal fracture along with a rhinoplasty.  It is best to allow the swelling to resolve and schedule a consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist who also has ENT training, so that both your cosmetic and medically necessary surgeries can be done at the same time.  Just remember that a rhinoplasty is considered cosmetic and must be paid for by the patient.  Straightening a broken nose is often a medically related issue that is billed to the patient’s insurance.  

When to get rhinoplasty after breaking your nose

+1

No! You should not get a nose job after breaking your nose. It is a better to have your nose reset by your ENT and let it heal for at least 3 - 6 months. After it has had some time to heal, then you can fix the cosmetic issues.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Rhinoplasty following a broken nose

+1

It is difficult to give you advice without examining you in person. If you were planning on having a rhinoplasty anyway, it would be necessary to wait for the swelling from the trauma to go down first.  If you were not planning on having a rhinoplasty right away, I would recommend having a closed nasal reduction within one week of the incident.  A great start would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist who has a great deal of experience. Thank you and I hope this helps.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

When to operate after fracture

+1

I would wait atleast a few weeks . A medrol pack will reduce the swelling quickly. I have done rhinoplasties after a fracture but it depends on the severity of the fracture.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Broken nose

+1

An excellent plastic surgeon in your area you should contact is Dr Barry Eppley. After an examination he should be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Wait several months after broken nose to have rhinoplasty.

+1

Hi.

You have to let the injured tissues heal and the broken bones solidify before changing the shape of the nose.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

When to have cosmetic rhinoplasty after a broken nose?

+1

If your nose is broken and there is no collection of blood along the septum, then you can wait to have surgery to repair the fracture and address your cosmetic concerns at the same time.  You should wait a minimum of six weeks, to allow the acute swelling to resolve.  It will make the surgery technically less challenging for the surgeon and will make the recovery faster for you! Good luck!

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD

Broken nose, should I get rhinoplasty?

+1

The time of acute injury is not the best time for rhinoplasty. Grossly displaced bones should be placed back in position as close as possible and then allowed to heal before further refinement.Think of it this way, it is easier to carve and sculpt a work of art from a solid piece of marble then to try and create one by piecing fragments together. 

One other note of caution, if you have always wanted to pursue rhinoplasty and this injury is the deciding factor then go for it. If you are hoping that because you have a fracture you will get your health insurance to cover it then you will likely be disappointed as health insurance does not cover nasal fracture repair for cosmetic improvement. Good luck!

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon