I Broke my Nose Two Weeks Ago and Had an Op to Reset It. When Can I Play French Horn Again?

I fell very heavily whilst playing Cricket, broke my nose (10/02/2012). I had an operation to reset the nose (20/02/12) which was badly broken. I play the French Horn and wonder how long it will be before I can safely start playing again. I am 72 years of age.

Playing French Horn 2 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

I hope you won the Cricket game when you broke your nose - it might help make the injury seem worthwhile if that is possible. I normally answer questions like this with some trepidation because I don't know exactly what was done during the operation. This time I will not offer any advice by telling you what I do with my patients and totally defer to your surgeon.

French horn playing after nasal fracture

+1

Putting the pressure on the mouth piece for the french horn increases blood pressure in the area and my bother you (throb) or potentially cause bleeding. You should check with your surgeon.

You can play the French horn again 2 weeks after nose surgery.

+1

First of all, the advice you always follow is your surgeons.  My advice is based on my own opinions and is tempered by the individual circumstances of the patient.  However, after 2 weeks it would be very difficult to dislodge the healing nasal short of significant direct trauma.