Broke my Nose in Basketball Many Times when I Was Younger. Can I Get It Fixed and Still Play? (photo)

So I am going into my first year of college and will be playing on the basketball team their, and I plan on playing college basketball for another 5 years and then maybe in Europe after. However, I would like to get my nose fixed after my first season ends, because my broken nose is not only very ugly, but not being able to breathe through the one nostril causes me to have bad gums, teeth, etc. because I can't sleep with my mouth closed. Can I get it fixed and still play basketball?

Rhinoplasty and Sports

+1

Absolutely you can fix your nose during college Basketball.  I would recommend at least a 6 week down time though.  Try the off season!  You can resume playing after your Septorhinoplasty.   However, like any other nose, serious trauma could affect your surgical result!  Your broken nose and breathing restrictions are two different issues, but can be handled at the same time.  Most often, your breathing restrictions (due to a deviated septum) is covered under insurance.  The prior nasal fracture can be fixed by resetting the nasal bones. Both are doable, but I suggest you have this performed during off season.

Good luck at college BB and then take on Europe!

Barrie Plastic Surgeon

Fixing Broken Nose

+1

You can have a septorhinoplasty to improve both the appearance and function of your nose. I tell my patients to avoid all activities where there is a risk of nasal trauma for 6 weeks after surgery.

Fractured nose

+1

Best to see a few surgeons in person to discuss timing and ability to play compressively again./////

Broken nose and breathing problems

+1

A broken nose and breathing problems are 2 completely separate issues  which can be addressed together. Reduction of the nasal fracture involves osteotomies and resetting of the nasal bones can occur independently of repairing the deviated septum from the injury.  A septoplasty is performed to improve air flow through the nose when the septum has been fractured or traumatized.

Playing Sports after Rhinoplasty is OK

+1

I recommend that my patients wait at least one month before any physical sports or hard exercise. By this time, the nose is healed enough with withstand mild trauma. However, if there is a large trauma to the nose, it can be seriously damaged just as any other nose. 

Dr. Richard Zoumalan. Beverly Hills, CA

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

Rhinoplasty during off-season

+1

Sicne you play competiively then I suggest taking a few weeks off after you have it done. I usually tell patients that they can go back to strenuous acitivity by 6 weeks.  But, you might be able to  get a fitted protective face shield to protect the nose. 

After a rhinoplasty return to basketball is possible in a few weeks.

+1

After 2 to 3 weeks you would be permitted to return to playing basketball in my practice. With or without surgery your nose can be broken in that sport but after a couple weeks it assumes almost the entire strength of the native nose.