I Broke Half of my Capsular Contracture on my Own and Now It's Back. Will Aggressive Massaging Work Again?

I am about 6 months post surgery and I got 450cc silicone above the muscle. I'm 5'8 and I'm athletically built, and I have next to no breast tissue. My left breast feels natural but my right has been tight since 2-3 weeks post op. About two months ago I was squeezing my right breast and I heard a loud POP! Instant relief. My doctor said I broke some of the capsule. By what I can tell, the capsule is on the top above my nipple. Can I break it again? Are there better techniques?

Rupturing your own capsular contracture

+2

Without knowing it, you performed a closed capsulotomy.  This is generally not a recommended treatment for plastic surgeons to perform. However, since you did it yourself, continue with aggressive massage.  Although there is a high chance of recurrence, it cannot hurt to keep massaging.

Abington Plastic Surgeon

+2

I agree with your PS. This has the potential to stay soft so I would aggressively massage the breast with your PS approval. If it gets hard again, you will need capsule surgery to fix this. You should have a good prognosis since the other breast is soft.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Closed capsulotomy done by the patient - capsular contracture will likely return

+2

You essentially performed a closed capsulotomy on yourself.  This has not been recommended as a treatment for capsular contracture for many years.  Most likely you capsular contracture will return but if you are lucky it may not.  Continue massaging and wait and see.  

POP

+2

Wow, thats impressive I have never heard of that, you must be very muscular

I would suggest not doing that again. Try antiinflammatories like celebrex and maybe a asthma medication like singulaire and ultrasound treatment as well

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Massage can help prevent recurrence of capsular contraction

+1

Thank you for your question. Of course you should see your plastic surgeon and ask for and follow his or her advice.

However massage or breast implant displacement exercises can expand the capsular tissue as attempts to recur and in my practice would be encouraged.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Colsed capsulotomy

+1

Closed capsulotomy is an old fashioned method that is not recommended - a formal surgical removal of the capsule with replacement of the implants is much more successful. The closed technique is not only painful - but if there is a rupture of the implant  could cause more problems.

M. Dalvi Humzah, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture

+1

No, you need the capsule completely removed, and new implants placed. Breaking the capsules is an historic technique that can potentially break the implants, and will inevitably go hard again. Dr Steve Merten, Sydney Australia.

Steve Merten, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon