Am I too wide for a high profile implant? Undecided between mod profile and HP (Photo)

I'm 5 foot 7, 170 lbs no kids, 34 c bra, I have a lot of tissue. I'm getting silicone unders. In my opinion I am wide but i also see myself as bigger than I am. I want more upper pole fullness and a semi "fake" looking breast. I was originally set on a mod profile thinking I'm wide. The look I'm wanting the doctor suggested a 650 cc HP implant. I am wondering if I'll get the upper fullness I want and not be too gapped and lose my side boob (Ill be going 500-600cc) will mod be too wide? help!!!

High profile implants are generally for women with narrow chest.

+1
I don't think I would advise you to have a high profile implant. To get better volume distribution on the chest a moderate or moderate plus profile would be a better choice.

What profile implant?

+1
If you are trying to diminish the gap, you must know how wide your natural breast footprint is and how much space exists between the mounds.  Your implant must exceed your footprint to diminish the 'gap'.  The larger HP implants are pretty wide and they may do this for you.  Best to clarify with your surgeon, since your surgeon will be responsible for making you satisfied in the end.

Curtis Wong, MD

Once you get to implants above 500cc then they should fit your frame

+1
High profile implants do have more narrow widths and will minimize cleavage to some extent at smaller sizes, but once you get to the sizes you are looking at, the width is usually wide enough to provide enough cleavage. I would listen to your doctor's recommendation since he has performed an exam and measurements.

Christopher J. Ewart, MD
Augusta Plastic Surgeon

Profile effect vs width of implant

+1
Implants come in three dimensions and depending on how these dimensions relate in their pillow effect to your breast is how to gauge them. 
For round, smooth surface, implants positioned behind the pectoralis muscle for the upper part of the breast, the key measurement is the width or diameter of the implant (which will also determine the height of the implant) in relation to the width or diameter of the breast it is filling out. Too wide will not fill it out properly and will distort it and too narrow will also not fill it out properly. If the implant is the proper width behind your breast (about 3/4 to 1cm less than the external width of your breast upright with arms down) then the effect of increased size of the breast will be determined by the forward volume (profile) of the implant. 
For breasts with average width relative to the chest circumference, the effect of a medium profile (not called that in silicone gels) implant fitted to the width would be to gain about 1 1/2 cup sizes. A high profile implant of the same width that fits the breast would increase apparent size by about 2 cup sizes. If the breast is unusually wide for the chest then the effects (and volume) of the implant profiles will be greater. If the breast is narrower than average then there will be less effect from the profile choices. 
If your breast width is truly wider than average for your chest around size then you will get more size increase effect from either a medium or high profile round, smooth, silicone gel-filled implant than someone with a more average breast width. The number of cc's is determined after the diameter of the implant and its profile is determined, not by starting from the number of cc's and working backwards. 
According to my thousands of measurements of breast width (not published however), the average width for a 34 in. chest is 13 cm.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Am I too wide for a high profile breast implant

+1
Thank you for your question.  You need an examination and measurements of your breast base width to properly answer your question.  Your plastic surgeon can use the base width to determine the size and style of breast implant that best fits your breast shape.

Understand that breast implants larger than 500 cc to carry a higher risk of complications such as capsular contracture.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Am I too wide for a high profile implant? Undecided between mod profile and HP

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. Based on your photograph, you are starting at a great place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  In regards to specific size/profile of breast implant, despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you  with  meaningful specific advice.  Ultimately, in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be necessary. Careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.  2.  Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" or "semi-fake" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.  The use of temporary intraoperative sizers, viewing the patient's breasts in the upright and supine position, are very helpful during the breast implant selection process.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Breast Augmentation- Which implant is best?

+1
Choosing the right implant can be difficult at times, so you are wise to ask. The amount of projection desired often varies with how "flat" the breast is to start. The moderate plus looks like it would be a reasonable option for you based on your current size and would likely fill the superior pole more effectively than a high profile, although the difference is not that great. I would caution you on implants as large as you are considering since you will likely need a breast lift much sooner with implants of that size. If any question or doubts in your mind, a second opinion is always a good idea.

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Choosing The 'Right' Breast Implant

+1
You have asked a common question - how to achieve the effect you want with the available implants.  I think you have given this some careful thought and that is a very good start.  The first decision is how big of an implant would you like to have.  The size will determine the fullness of the breasts and how they appear in your bra cup.

The manufacturers then offer different profiles. Typically this is done so that the breast implant fits within the natural outline of you breast so that the implant does not 'announce' itself.  (The fake look that you mentioned).  Looking at one manufacturer's catalog (Mentor) - you can find a moderate profile implant of 650 cc is 16.5 cm wide and projects 3.9 cm.  The high profile is 14.4 cm wide and projects 5.7 cm.  The moderate plus is in between.  Converting to inches, the difference in width is less than one inch.

Your plastic surgeon will have made measurements of your breast width.  And so you would probably want an implant that fit within those measurements.  Your upper pole fullness would be a function of how wide your implant is, but also the size of your skin envelope.  Your side breast appearance would usually look better with the higher profile.

Take some time and discuss this with your surgeon. Any experienced board certified plastic surgeon should be able to guide you on what to expect with each available profile.  And you can also ask how you would look in and out of a bra.  Best of luck to you.

Al Rosenthal, MD

Moderate versus high profile implants - #breastimplants

+1
First you should decide what is moe important. Do you want what fits best for the width of your wide chest or do you want to emphasize rounding. The wider you go with a MP implant the larger and more round you will appear.  One that width is optimized the decide if there is still room and if you still want to be larger. If so the go to a high profile. Remember that bras can make most implant look HP. 

Mark D. Wigod, MD
Boise Plastic Surgeon

Implant profiles and how to choose

+1
I have discussed the term " hi profile" over and over again for years and feel it is highly confusing and a poor description for something that seems a  very important choice to patients. 

I feel the term High profile is a misnomer. 

You are on the right track when you are looking and thinking about the width of your chest.

Here is what I tell my patients. For the most part, we want to fill the space between the breast bone and the edge of the armpit with the implant; too wide an implant, and the implant has only one way to go, and that is out to the side, too narrow and it will leave too much space. 
For any given volume the manufacturers give us several different widths, but unfortunately they call a normal width implant moderate profile  and a narrower width mod plus and a very narrow implant hi profile,  because as the implant  width narrows the volume is expressed by a more projecting ( sticking out) implant.

With a 650cc implant, which is quite a large volume, you may only have room on the chest wall for a high profile device. You should be able to tell by the measurements your surgeon has done, or by comparing these to the actual available dimensions on your chest, from the outer edge of your breast bone to the outer margin of your  breast. Compare this to the sizes and dimensions listed on the manufacturer 's website.

Again, this is a confusing issue. If necessary, go back and discuss it further with your surgeon.

Benjamin Gelfant, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon