Is it typical for Botox to be offered for plantar hyperhidrosis and is does it work well?

Hi, I have been diagnosed with plantar and Palmer hyperhidrosis. I had surgery for my palms and have been getting by with drysol for my feet. I heard about Botox for sweating but everywhere I've looked into only does Botox for axillary hyperhidrosis. Why is this and is Botox for foot sweating worth it compared to Drysol? Thanks.

Botox for hyperhidrosis of palms and soles

+1

Botox is a botulinum toxin that has been used successfully for many years in treating excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) of the armpits, hands and feet (plantar). It has also been used successfully for excessive sweating elsewhere including the scalp, face, and even trunk. Drysol and Hydrosal topically can be tried, as can iontophoresis and even pills like oxybutynin. Best to speak with a hyperhidrosis expert such as a dermatologist. There is some pain and occasional bruising with Botox treatments, but otherwise a very very safe and effective treatment. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for plantar hyperhidrosis

+1
Botox Therapeutic is helpful for plantar hyperhidrosis, but tends to not work quite as well as it does for underarm hyperhidrosis.  It is painful but topical anaesthetics and ice help.  The treatment may not be covered by private insurance.  If you are happy with Drysol, you can continue with it or also consider iontophoresis.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox for foot sweating

+1

Yes, Botox is a good way to treat plantar hyperhidrosis, however the biggest draw back is the discomfort during injection. This can be controlled somewhat with topic anesthetic application, prior to injections but most find it quite painful. Other than pain, the main side effects are bruising, non-response and minor muscle foot malfunction.

Sheetal Sapra, MD
Ontario Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for plantar hyperhidrosis

+1

Botox can work for plantar hyperhidrosis but it is exceptionally painful. Most people just cannot tolerate that many shots into their feet (or hands), and that's why it's not a preferable treatment method. I've done it before, but you really have to be a stoic person to be able to tolerate the pain of the injections! 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD