I Tend to Bruise Easily, How Will This Effect my Augmentation and Healing After?

I Tend To Bruise Easily, How Will This Effect My Augmentation and Healing?

+1

Dear Grace,

Most women have minimal bruising with breast augmentation, but if you are concerned that you may have a problem it is best to be evaluated prior to surgery. Your family MD is a good place to start, but occasionally a specialist’s evaluation (hematologist) may be valuable. A “bleeding time” test could be considered. It is extremely unlikely but possible that some disease (liver, Leukemia, Lupus) or undiagnosed clotting disorder (Von Willebrand’s) could be causing the bruising.

The best predictor of a future problem is your response to previous surgery or dental procedures. No past problems…low probability of future.

There are medications (aspirin, cortisone, some herbal drugs, ibuprophen-type meds, blood thinners) and some dietary supplements (vitamin E, fish oil, Ginko) that may increase bruising. Some deficiencies (vitamin C, K, folic acid and B 12) could have a negative impact on healing.

If all of these problems have been “ruled out” you could consider taking Arnica Montana, a pill made from the mountain daisy. Our patients claim to have success limiting bruising using arnica.

Good luck with your surgery!

Michael Sadove, MD

Breast augmentation and bruising

+1

Most women have very little bruising following breast augmentation surgery. We provide all our patients a homeopathic remedy containing arnica montana to help with bruising and swelling.

The recovery from subpectoral breast augmentation used to be a rather unpleasant experience, but it no longer has to be. A space for the implant must be developed behind the pectoralis major, and a portion of the muscle's inferior origin must be released. Surgery on a muscle in most cases produces significant postoperative pain, and that is certainly true for breast augmentation. However, by using a local anesthetic infusion device (the On-Q 'Pain Buster') for the first two to three days after surgery, the pain associated with this procedure can be reduced quite dramatically.

While breast augmentation patients in this practice receive a prescription for a mild narcotic pain medication for use after surgery (just in case), most of them never take it. Most patients report little to no pain in the evening following surgery, and perhaps some mild discomfort on Postop day one and two. Patients can resume all normal, non-strenuous activities of daily living immediately after surgery, and can begin pec major range of motion exercises on the evening of their procedure.

Patients are seen in the office the day after surgery, and again on Friday for removal of the Go-Pump catheters (which is painless). Working patients usually return to work the Monday following the surgery; stay-at-home moms may need some help with toddlers for the first two to three days after surgery. Exercise is limited to walking only for the first two weeks; in weeks three and four some light exercise is permissible. Patients can gradually increase their exercise/workout level in the second month (weeks five through eight), however it is a full eight weeks before patients are allowed to return to activities that require forceful, repetitive, sustained pec major contraction - such as pushups and heavy weight lifting. It is important to ensure that the breasts are well supported in snug fitting sports bra (or two) when returning to impact exercise such as running or aerobics.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Bruising Easily

+1

If you have no history of easy bleeding or bleeding problems, you should have no trouble with your surgery. If you bleed easily, you should be evaluated by your doctor before surgery. Arnica pills can help to avoid bruises and make them resolve faster. Typically with gentle technique in breast augmentation, there is virtually no bleeding.

Michael Horn, MD

Bruising and breast augmentation

+1

Easily bruisability should be evaluated pre-operatively for an operation such as breast augmentation, where post-operative bleeding could possibly occur.  Once that is looked into and there is no problem with your clotting factors (von Willibrand's disease occasionally is discovered), then Arnica can be useful to reduce bruising.  It is marketed as Bruisegard by the same people who make Scarguard, a common topical scar treatment.

Gregory Diehl, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Easy bruising and breast augmentation

+1

Bruising easily typically does not have any affect on breast augmentation surgery. I rarely see any bruising because the surgery can be performed in such a way that almost no bleeding at all is seen during the procedure. That being said, if you had have a more significant issue with bruising (coagulopathy or hemophilia), your surgeon should know about such a condition. It will most likely not prevent you from having surgery, but certain precautions might be considered. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Easy Bruiser and Breast Augmentation Concerns

+1

If you do not have a history of prolonged bleeding or problems bleeding after previous surgeries, dental procedures, or trauma, your recovery will likely be uneventful.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

I Tend to Bruise Easily

+1

Chances are you will have more than an average amount of bruising after surgery, but no problems with overall healing. Discuss precisely with your surgeon what you mean by "easy bruising."  This term can cover anything for what I would call normal to health threatening disorders of blood clotting. Almost all are in the former group.

All the best.