Breast Augmentation Only to Correct Sagging? (photo)

i've been told by a PS after measurements that my chest is 'low set', and a lift is going to make little difference to the position of my nipple. He suggested a teardrop implant with a 250cc implant OVER the muscle. He told me it would only increase my size by max. 1.5 cup sizes, but when i tried on the sizer it looked MASSIVE. I just want to know if i've been given good advice, as if i'm going to turn out as big as the sizer, i'd rather just live with my droopy little breasts. Thanks! :)

Breast lift and breast implants

+2

Your posted photos show minimal sagging as the nipples are close to the breast crease level (not well below it) with loss of upper breast half fullness. Implants alone are a valid option and is the standard answer in inservice training exams but I am not sure that tear drop are the best choice for upper half filling. The teardrop also project outwards more than the round and this may account for what you perceived as massive.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Breast implants are only needed if the patient wants to be bigger

+2

Based on your photos, I would say that you are a good candidate for a lift alone to correct the sagging in your breasts.  Because of your slightly smaller size, the lift should last longer too.  I don't understand why patients continue to be told that they MUST get breast implants to correct "droopy" breasts.  This is simply not so.  If you don't want to be any bigger, get a lift alone, and forget the implants.  There are many good techniques for this procedure, many of which leave minimal scarring.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation alone for sagging

+2

If you really wish to avoid a visible breast scar then an implnat alone will add volume to the breast and give you some lift. After weight loss the skin envelope can be full, and a subglandular implant will give a better marriage between breast and implant if you are choosing a smaller size. The 250 cc implant is modest as things go and you can't simply try it one to get the proper look. His ideas sound good to us, except the teardrop thing as we think the round is a safer bet. If the photo is too big, show it to your surgeon as an example of the look you don't want.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Sagging

+2

I would strongly encourage you to see another surgeon. The info you are getting is not correct. A smaller implant and a lift can be a good option.

+2

Although a breast implant will fill out excess breast skin in patients otherwise considering a lift, it may not be a good choice for a patient who does not want larger breasts. Given your reaction to the modest sizers, I think you would be better off without implants. 

I would seek out another opinion, as I don't see a reason why a lift couldn't be considered for you.

Thanks for the question, the photos. Best wishes.

Breast lift and implants

+1

It’s very difficult for me to tell from your photos; however, I would lean to agreeing with your plastic surgeon and I also suggest to my patients that they obtain another consult for a second opinion.  I also caution my patients to not obtain too many opinions, as it then may become very confusing.  Just as an example, I have one patient who initially came to me regarding breast surgery, saw 4 other plastic surgeons, and finally returned for her surgery, but stating that she became utterly confused, because 3 of the total of 5 surgeons had completely different opinions.  Just a word to the wise. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.  

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Always be careful you're not just being told what you want to hear...

+1

Hi there-

I personally would be very concerned that a year after your procedure you are very likely to be unhappy (even if you were initially pleased)...

Clearly from your photos, you have some excess breast skin, and that skin has lost some of its youthful qualities (explaining why your breasts are drooping). When implants are placed above the muscle (usually in an attempt to give a patient who has expressed a desire to avoid a breast lift what she wants), the only support for that implant is thinned breast tissue and loose poorly elastic skin. Even when this results in a reasonable early outcome, the longer term outcome is rarely pleasing, as the effect of the additional weight represented by the implant on the already loose and poor quality skin becomes evident.

In other words, the implant will usually stretch your skin more, and result in a MORE droopy, unattractive appearance.

Be careful what you ask for...

Be sure that you are confident you (and your surgeon) have taken into consideration where you are starting from, where you REALLY want to end up, and the best options for getting there.

Remember that when asking for directions, the starting point and the desired destination are the most important variables- and that firmly stipulating the road you want to drive on may compromise your eventual destination.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Breast Augmentation to Correct Sagging

+1

Reviewing your photos it would appear that you would benefit from a lift. The implant would play a role if you wanted to also create a fullness at the upper part of your breasts, as this would not be adequately addressed by lift alone. While the sizer you used to give you an idea of your result, remember it is only an idea. There are several factors that will effect how you look after an augmentation. One of such factors is the fact that you would be having a lift at the same time which will make your breast smaller.

The important thing is to revisit your plastic surgeon if you are unsure about his initial recommendations. Make sure that you voice your concerns clearly so that they may have a chance to adequately address them and discuss the pros and cons of the options available to you. I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Breast Augmentation Alone or Breast Lift Necessary?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although  in person consultation  and a full communication of your goals would be necessary  to give you accurate/specific advice, I think you will do well with breast lifting along with breast augmentation. I think the position of your breasts and the nipple/areola complexes are such that  breast augmentation alone would not provide you with an aesthetically pleasing result. I would also suggest sub muscular (dual plane)  breast augmentation,  preferably done with round breast implants.

Given that you will receive a variety of online opinions, it will be in your best interests to meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in your area who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the type of results that you are looking for.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastLiftAug.htm

Implants are for volume and breast lift is for correcting laxity

+1

Thank you for the photos.  I try to encourage my patients to think of breast augmentation and breast lift procedures as two fundamentally different options aimed at different issues.  Since a breast implant goes above your breast fold any skin and breast tissue that hangs below your breast fold will be hanging off of your implant after breast augmentation.  If you can make your breasts look the way you want by simply shaping them with your hands or a non padded bra them what you would be looking for is a breast lift.  If you would like larger breasts then you will require a breast implant.  Depending on what you would like to accomplish you may choose either or both of the procedures.  Personally, I think a small breast implant and a breast lift would give you the best result from my perspective.

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.