What Do I Need to Bring to my Consultation?

I have my consultation on Tuesday; besides my list of questions is there anything else that I should bring?

The plastic surgery consultation

+2

Don't be afraid to ask questions at your consultation, no matter how trivial or how personal you think they'll sound. It's a good idea to write down your questions before hand,and to make a note of the surgeon's answers as well.

The components of a good consultation are:

1. The surgeon should answer all of your questions thoroughly, in language you can understand.
2. They should ask about your motivations and expectations, discuss them with you, as well as solicit your reaction to their recommendations.
3. The surgeon should offer alternatives, where appropriate, without pressuring you to consider unnecessary procedures. Be wary of surgeons who try to group too many procedures together at one time or sign you up for overly lengthy procedures.
4. Your plastic surgeon should welcome questions about their professional qualifications, experience, costs, and payment policies.
5. He/she should make clear not only the risks of surgery but possible variations in outcome. If the surgeon shows you photographs of other patients, or uses computer imaging to show you possible results, it should be clear that there is no guarantee that your results will match these.
6. The plastic surgeon should clearly go over the postoperative instructions in order for you to achieve the best results. Aftercare is as important as your surgery and the plastic surgeon who performs it. If an overnight stay at a care facility is required it should be taken care of, as safety should be your first priority.
7. If the plastic surgeon suggests billing your health insurance for a non-covered cosmetic procedure you should know that you would be commiting insurance fraud - which is a felony. You want your surgeon to be honest with you - if the plastic surgeon would mislead an insurance company they will just as easily lie to you.
8. Your surgeon should make sure the final decision is yours.

What shall I bring to my PlasticSurgery Consultation?

+2
Great Question. A consultation should not be a one way interaction where a surgeon or his staff try and sell you a procedure and try and rush you into scheduling nor should it be a session where you tell the surgeon what he should do for you without giving him the chance to examine you. A consultation should be a comprehensive session in which the surgeon learns your medical and surgical history, understands your wishes and based on your examination, you and your surgeon evaluate all your options and together formulate a plan that is best for you. In preparation for your consultation I would 1. Bring a summary of your medical history, all your medications (including vitamins and supplements), your surgical history and all pertinent surgeon dictated operative notes. 2. Read everything you can on the procedure you are interested in, including your surgeon's website and that on the website of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) 3. Any photographs of results you like and do NOT like 4. A list of questions to ask the surgeon 5. Your spouse or significant other. Sometimes a third person hears things you do not and would be helpful in the discussion that always follows a consultation Do NOT bring young children who will distract both you and the surgeon. Turn your cell phone off - there are few things more annoying that the phone constantly going off when a surgeon is trying to explain important concepts to a prospective patient. Good Luck. Dr. Peter Aldea

Preparing for Your Consultation

+2

What your surgeon most needs to effectively help you is information.  If it is available, obtain a copy of the doctor's medical history form and take time to accurately fill it out.  Make sure that you list all of the medications that you take, prescription and non-prescription.  Also, make sure that you have a listing of all the skin care products that you use.  I am amazed at how many people come in to my office and really have little idea of what they are applying to their skin.

In addition, bring whatever you need to tell your story.  I see my job as trying to help you meet your aesthetic objective.  If you don't want to look like your mother, bring in a photo so you can point out what it is that you don't like.  If you want your lips to look a certain way, bring in a magazine and show the doctor an example of what you want to achieve.  If you read an article, bring it with you.  The more I know about what you want and don't want, the more effectively I can do my job.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgery consultation

+1

Besides bringing your list of questions, bring with you the request from your surgeon (not a consultant or nurse) to describe as best as possible what they expect your result might be like so that you can be sure that your expectations will be met or exceeded by what the doctor routinely expects from your starting point.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Bring photos to your consultation to help you explain yourself to your Dr.

+1

Bring any previous surgical records if you had any plastic surgery on related areas.  Bring photos if you have them to help you explain to the surgeon what you want and do not want.