Botox and Fillers Risks/Safety?

Some of the literature online, especially from websites such as this, makes the thought of having botox extremely scary and concerning that all the side effects of botox are not known. I am desperate to have either botox or filler done in the crows feet area and forehead. Firstly, is botox really that unsafe-referring to the blogs on these websites? and secondly can fillers be used safely in the glabella area and horizontal frown lines? kind regards

Safety Profiles of Botox and Fillers

+3

Dear Sophie,

The question you ask is a good one – and I am glad that you have asked it. Many people move forward into the treatment of their face without the consideration of consequences and the need to be treated by qualified and specialized providers.

In the 1960’s Alan Scott, M.D., initiated studies with Botulinum Toxin Type A to correct strabismus (crossed eyes). He discovered that by injecting a small amount of toxin into the hyperactive eye muscles that he was able to realign crossed eyes without the need for surgery (the only option at that time). Today there are 21 different indications for the use of this medication. It is important to emphasize that this is a medication with a well-rounded medical history, most of which is lost in the discussions of cosmetic applications.

I have reviewed the site that you provided (thank you) and I am grateful to say that I have not experienced the unfortunate circumstances that are discussed on the current board – with either Botox or fillers. Regardless of what decision you make, or provider you choose to work with, it is important to partner with an expert who specializes in the face, is well intimated with the anatomy, and open to educating you throughout your experience.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD
Facial Plastic Surgeon

Are Botox and fillers safe?

+2

Sophie, There are risks to everything but if you choose your physician wisely, the ride to the office is more risky than is the procedure. Botox, and similar toxins, have an excellent safety record. I use them on myself on as regular basis as do many dermatologists. As for fillers in the forehead lines, they can be used safely but with great caution and should be done by an experienced injector. The glabellar area(between the brows) can be risky when injecting fillers unless doctor is very experienced.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox for Crow's feet and safety

+1
I have been injecting Botox and Fillers for 20 years and find them to be extremely safe and effective.  As with anything, there can be side effects.  The most important thing is to find an experienced dermatologist who is board certified and understands the science and cosmetic usage of these injections.

Michele S. Green, MD

Botox and safety

+1

For a thorough review of cosmetic Botox treatments and its' potential side effects, please visit the website referenced. In general, consulting with a well-trained and reputable provider should help alleviate your fears and inform you of the more common issues. Botox is a temporary treatment, not permanent.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox and fillers risks/safety?

+1

When injected properly by a board certified specialist, Botox is a safe procedure. For the crow's feet, frown lines, and glabella, Botox or Dysport are the best options. Injecting filler in the glabella is not recommended. This is dangerous, and there are complications that may arise. When looking to have Botox or Dysport, I would recommend a consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist. They are all great choices. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Botox & Fillers Safety

+1

Although risks are evaluated with every medical study and must always be presented to you, that does not mean the service is always unsafe.  Fortunately, Allergan and other companies such as Merz Aesthetics, have developed the products Botox and Xeomin for injection.  This type of botulism has a protein wrapped around it so when it is placed into the muscle it stays put. In addition to that, when used for cosmetic purposes, very small doses of these are used and any side effects are extremely rare and usually temporary.

I suggest doing Botox in the area for 3-6 months to soften the wrinkle and give it time to relax to get a precise idea of how much filler is needed and then have the filler placed. With the skilled hands of a plastic surgeon, a filler can be placed in the glabella area very easily. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox safe when injected by experienced specialist

+1

Botox cosmetic is administered in doses too small to have any systemic effect, and so any side-effects are mild and temporary. However, achieving consistently good results requires experience and knowledge of the anatomy of the nerves and muscles of the face. It is not a "cookie cutter" technique, as it hsa to be personalized to each person.

Richard Baxter, MD

Problems with Botox are due to bad injection technique.

+1

Hi,

1)  Botox itself is extremely safe and effective.  But like everything else, it has to be done right.  Go to an experienced plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

2)  For what you describe, you don't need fillers, but they are safe too.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Botox and Fillers Risks/Safety?

+1

Botox has been used on millions of patients to reduce unwanted lines and wrinkles including thos in the Crow's feet.  Botox would be far more effective in the Crow's feet than a filler.

Botox and Fillers Risks/Safety?

+1

Botox is very safe around the eyes and forehead with a very low incidence of complications in experienced hands. Fillers can be used safely in the glabella. This is a higher risk area than the nasolabial folds, lips, cheeks, etc but can be safely performed by an experienced injector. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon