Bridge of Skin Formed at Lower Part of my Labia After Natural Birth. Is This Normal? (photo)

I had a natural birth 9 weeks ago. According to my gynae, no episiotomy was required and the tears were natural. Stitching was performed. Now i can see there's a bridge of skin formed at lower part of labia (not sure if the area is called labia). I experience pain during sex but pain seems to come from the inner wall of the front part of my vagina, not the bridge area. 1. Is this bridge/ stitch performed correctly? Is this normal? 2. Should I be worried about pain during sex?

The question is whether it bothers you.

+1

If it bothers you in any way it can be corrected under local anesthesia.  After surgery, you would have to refrain from sexual intercourse for at least three weeks in order for the area to heal.

Skin Bridge after Childbirth

+1

The issue of the skin bridge can be easily remedied surgically, but the pain during intercourse should be discussed with your OB/GYN.

+1

You appear to have scar contracture across the posterior commissure of the labii in the area of the perineal tear sustained during childbirth.  This can be revised under local anesthesia by performing a Z-plasty or bilateral V to Y plasty type plastic surgical procedure.  Painful sex (dyspareunia) may be caused by a variety of situations, but as you suggest, is probably not the scar.  If it persists, your gynecologist should be consulted.

Steve Laverson, MD