How Old Do You Need to Be to Get a Brest Reduction and How Much Would It $?

16 almost 17, 105-110 pounds and 5'3. dedicated ballet dancer and have a left breast that is 34D and my right breast is 34DD. having uneven boobs really takes a toll on my self confidence and i am starting to have back issuses. would it be unreasonable to just get one reduction in the right breast to match the smaller left one?

One reduction

+1

At 16, most have stopped growing, so a breast reduction can be performed. Reducing only 1 breast can be done. If you are a ballet dancer, you might want a small reduction on your left breast as well.  Do remember, pregnancy and breast feeding may greatly change your breasts.  I would suggest that you discuss your concerns with a plastic surgeon.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

+1

Deciding on a breast reduction depends on many factors.  I personally have done a breast reduction on a 15 year-old girl with severe "virginal hypertrophy".  So, yes it can be done in someone in your situation.  However, your breasts are still growing and, even though it is not easy because of your love of ballet, it would be best to wait until you are at least 18.  There is a chance that the smaller side will grow to the same size as the other, and you will have just one operation, rather than having to do it more than once.  Best of luck

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Age for reduction mammaplasty

+1

There is no minimum age but when working with minors, its difficult to know the true motivation and whether the risks are truly appreciated such as numbness, inability to breast feed and possible regrowth of breasts, in addition to the scarring that must be accepted.  If you have the permission of your parents and your breasts are big enough to meet insurance minimums, your family insurance should cover this.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Reduction Cost

+1

Hello Emma, it is not impossible for you to get a breast reduction on one breast only at your age. However, if you haven't finished growing you may need a reduction again at some point. You will need parental consent while you are under 18. Most insurance companies require that you are 18 before covering any costs. Surgeons fees vary and also vary depending on what part of the country you are in, so when you are ready, seek a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who will give you a quote and be sure to see lots of before and after pictures to see what you can expect. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Breast asymmetry

+1

If you are of adult height and have regular periods, and your breasts are no longer growing, you may be a candidate for breast surgery.  It is certainly possible to reduce the larger breast to match the smaller.

How Old Do You Need to Be to Get a Brest Reduction and How Much Would It Cost?

+1

Thank you for the question. No, it is absolutely reasonable to undergo breast surgery ( even at the young age of 16) to improve breast symmetry.  Many patients your age with relatively large/disproportional breasts suffer both physically and psychosocially. This does not have to be the case.

I would suggest that you seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.  In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible  about  breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Hopefully you have the support of your parents as you do your homework.

You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more about breast reduction surgery.  You will also be able to find information about cost of surgery on this website and during the consultation process.