Breathing through mouth 3 weeks after tip plasty & alarplasty, is it normal?

I find myself breathing many times through my mouth even though it has been 3 weeks after tip plasty and alarplasty. I find my nose blocked - perhaps with mucus or whatever, i'm not sure. My internal sutures are still not out yet too. It's scary that I am not breathing 100% through my nose. Why is this so? When will I be able to breathe 100% through my nose again?

Hang in there!

+2

It will be 3-6 months or more for all the swelling to go away, so be patient and things will likely get better!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

I would consult your surgeon at this point to make sure your healing is going as anticipated.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Difficulty Breathing Post Rhinoplasty

+2
There is swelling on the outside and the inside. The swelling takes 3 months for 75% to resolve.

Decongestants, saline nasal sprays, humidifiers, blowing your nose in a steamy shower, and cleaning your nose with Q tips are ways for you to improve your breathing.

Consult and trust your surgeon.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon