Is It Common to Have Breathing Problems After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I plan on getting Rhinoplasty soon and i want to change my bridge, tip and nostrils. My question is what is the likelihood of having breathing problems after nostril reduction. I really don't like how wide my nose is but my health is a priority.

Breathing problems after rhinoplasty

+1

It is uncommon to have a breathing problem created from cosmetic surgery.  In the far majority of our cases, no changes in breathing have occurred after rhinoplasty or septoplasty. 

Possible Breathing Issues After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Lovlife,

Breathing issues can result from Rhinoplasty if the procedure the nostrils or other parts of the nose collapse when you breath in. For this to happen, very poor approach should take place and with extensively experienced surgeon it is very minimal (almost non existing).

Now, after the rhinoplasty it is normal that a patient feel congested (something close to the flu like symptoms).

I encourage you to seek a consultation with the board certified surgeon of ample experience in the field of rhinoplasty who will guide you to make a well informed decision.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Breathing problems following rhinoplasty

+1

Breathing problems can result from a rhinoplasty if the following issues arise:

1) The procedure is performed improperly and the nose eventually collapses
2) The procedure is overdone and the nostrils become pinched

The width of the nose can be improved without compromising one's breathing.  This requires a conservative approach with adequate structural support provided during the rhinoplasty to minimize the chances of complications occurring in the future.  I would recommend a consultation with a board certified rhinoplasty surgeon. Thanks and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and breathing problems

+1
    Every experienced rhinoplastic surgeon strives to make sure that the nasal breathing after rhinoplasty improves, not worsens. Typically the nasal breathing issues are related to the internal structures (valves, septum, turbines, etc.) as opposed to the nostril size. In your particular case an experienced surgeon should be able to narrow your nostrils significantly without compromising your breathing.  Of course, a careful pre-operative assessment of your internal nasal structures is paramount to properly plan and execute your nasal surgery.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Nostril reduction

+1

Nostril reduction is unlikely to result in problems breathing after rhinoplasty.  Post surgical breathing problems are usually a result of obstruction inside the nasal passages and can be avoided by proper evaluation of the airway before surgery.  This will determine if any additional internal work such as a septoplasty or turbinectomies would be of some benefit during surgery.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breathing Problems After Rhinoplasty

+1

Breathing obstruction is a possible complication especially more common when the size of the nasal dorsum and/or nasal tip are being reduced. An experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon will create a surgical plan to allow for an adequate airway. Your surgeon can explain this during the preop consultation.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breathing after Rhinoplasty

+1

Breathing obstruction is a possible complication after a rhinoplasty, especially when the size of your nose is reduced. An experienced surgeon will take steps during your surgery to maintain an adequate airway. Discuss this with your surgeon before the operation.

Rhinoplasty can make your breathing better.

+1

Hi.

With a good rhinoplasty, certainly your breathing should not get any worse.  By working with the septum and the turbinates, your breathing can be made better!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Is It Common to Have Breathing Problems After Rhinoplasty?

+1

Simply answer is not very common but can occur. Best to discuss with your chosen surgeon because we can not do an intranasal examination on you over the internet to see if you have airway issues. Talk to your surgeon to fully understand the risk/benefits. Good Luck

Nasal obstruction after rhinoplasty

+1

Nasal obstruction is one of the potential complications of rhinoplasty, and is especially more common when the size of the nasal dorsum and/or nasal tip are being reduced. I have to complement you that you are aware of this issue and consider the function of your nose as important as its looks.  While you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty, make sure to find an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and to discuss your concerns prior to the procedure.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD