Breathing Problem From Nasal Polyps. Is Surgery the Only Option?

I have nasel polyps in left side and also due to this, my nasel bone was become disorder. there is very less space in the right side. due to this, i can't breath properly. please let me know, only operation is the way to resolve this problem or any other way and also tell me that there is any side effect after operation?

Breathing issues due to nasal polyps

+1

Nasal polyps are often times caused by allergies. They are called allergic nasal polyps. It is important to get allergy tested and desensitized for immunotherapy. It is also important to make sure your allergies, if any allergies, are treated with antihistamines, decongestants, and cortisone nasal sprays. A temporary measure to shrink these polyps would be to inject a small amount of cortisone into them, but they do tend to return as soon as the cortisone wears off in a month or two. Nasal polyps are considered by definition chronic sinusitis and are treated surgically not medically. Antibiotics will not make them go away. Endoscopic sinus surgery is performed to remove the polyps. Prior to embarking on that type of procedure, a CAT scan of the sinuses must be performed to identify which sinuses are involved with polyps so that they can be completely surgically addressed.  

Surgery is the best but not the only option

+1

Hello Vashnavi

Polyp surgery is actually very easy. You would breathe better almost immediately, and there is usually very little pain involved. Many patients do not even choose to take pain medicine.

Nasal steroid sprays can shrink the polyps a little, but won't have any effect on the nasal bones you described.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon