Breathing Issues 9 Days After a Rhinoplasty?

I was told my septum was slightly deviated.I think out of the 7 docs I saw, maybe 2 mentioned that my septum was slightly deviated. So I had a septoplasty, rhinoplasty, and turbinectomy. Last night was my 10th night since surgery and I woke up in the middle of the night with a very clogged nostril. It still feels clogged today. Today I have a slight headache and my head feels congested. Is this normal? Is breathing good before surgery and not breathing so great after surgery normal?

10 days after surgery

+1

It is standard to have internal swelling after nasal surgery that impairs airflow. I am certain that your surgeon would want to know of your concerns.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD

These are questions you should be asking your own surgeon!

+1

Markky_03, you have asked a total of 4 questions, all of them good and reasonable, but all of them best referred to the surgeon you paid for your operation. Any of us online consultants serve only to give general answers that may or may not apply to the specifics of your individual case, anatomy, and surgical procedure.

The purpose of this forum is to help provide "second opinions" or additional information when what your own doctor is providing is unclear or if you have concerns that you feel uncomfortable about.

But in almost all cases, your own surgeon has vested interest in your results, your happiness with the information provided, and overall satisfaction that would merit referral of others to his/her care. That's how we build and maintain our practices.

Unless you have a "lemon" of a surgeon, we welcome questions, as each of us has a slightly different "spin" on our answers, as you can read in various responses. Your own surgeon should get your attention, as it is s/he you chose to perform your operation (and the one you paid to care for you as well!) Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breathing

+1

Ten days after surgery is a short time to anticipate full internal nasal healing, of course.  So, I recommend that you contact your surgeon and ask about nasal saline and decongestants.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breathing Issues Are Normal 9 Days After a Rhinoplasty

+1

It is completely normal to be congested 10 days after surgery. This is something you just need to be patient with. Over the next week or two this should resolve on it's own.Given the turbinate surgery you may need to have some "debris" removed from your nose by your surgeon in order to really start to breath well. Best of luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon