If I cannot breather very well through my nose and I want to get a rhinoplasty surgery, would it be considered non-cosmetic?

Could my insurance cover the cost if it impacts my nose's ability to breather well? It just so happens that i don't like the shape of my nose; could I have that fixed as well? I have a droopy, long nose with more cartilage on one side than the other.

Insurance should cover surgery to help you breathe

+2

Insurance should cover the portion of a septorhinoplasty that is performed to help you breathe. Any portion of the procedure that is cosmetic in nature (making the nose smaller, shaping the tip, changing the profile) would be an out of pocket expense in addition to the insurance portion of the procedure. 

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Insurance and rhinoplasty

+2

Depending on your insurance company, they will generally cover some or all of the functional portion of your surgery. Any cosmetic changes are billed separately. If a cosmetic change affects your breathing, it is possible that insurance may cover a portion of it. For example, fixing pinched nostrils.  I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

functional nasal surgery and cosmetic rhinoplasty

+2

There are many issues inside the nose that can cause breathing problems such as a deviated septum, valve collapse, vestibular stenosis, turbinate hypertrophy, and allergies. Each one of these are treated differently with either medications or surgery. If medical management has failed, consideration for surgical management of air flow restriction can be entertained. An examination/ consultation will determine medical necessity for the above procedures. A rhinoplasty procedure is considered cosmetic and is not paid for by patient's insurance. For more information please see the link below regarding functional and cosmetic nasal surgery

Rhinoplasty for breathing issues is covered by insurance but not the cosmetic part.

+2

Rhinoplasty for breathing issues is covered by insurance but not the cosmetic part. See a very experienced surgeon for the best result.

+2

The breathing issue may be covered by insurance.  The external nasal appearance changes will not be covered.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.