Cant Breathe Well a Year After Rhinoplasy/Septoplasty/Submucous?

Cant Breathe Well a Year After Rhinoplasy/Septoplasty/Submucous .... Something. I had my ENT doctor cousin do a nose job on me because I wanted a smaller nose, he also said I had a deviated septum so he was going to correct that also. Now I can't sleep well and my nostrils are very small. I feel like I can hardly breathe out of my nose and it's been more than a year. I don't know what to do but I can't live like this the rest of my life.

Breathing problems after rhinoplasty

+1

Rather than listing 10 things that could be causing it let me recommend a revision specialist consultation for his advice and reoperation

Poor breathing a year after nasal surgery

+1

It is unfortunate that you now have a breathing problem from nasal surgery.  There are several different causes of nasal obstruction, which include continued deviated septum, turbinate enlargement, and valve collapse from the upper lateral cartilages herniating into the airway.  An overly ambitious alarplasty can pinch the nostrils and restrict airflow.  A thorough examination by a board certified ear, nose, and throat doctor should determine the cause of your problem.

Nasal valve collapse after rhinoplasty

+1

I am sorry you are having these issues.  During a rhinoplasty, if appropriate rearchitecturing to prevent your nasal valves from collapsing is not performed, then your breathing can be significantly altered for the worse.  It is best to have an in-person evaluation by a revision rhinoplasty specialist to comprehensively assess your anatomy and to discuss options, which typically involve placing grafts to spread your nasal valves open or to reconstruct collapse parts of your nasal tip.  Revision rhinoplasty to repair nasal valve collapse is very routine in my practice, and it is worth a visit to see if we can help. 

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Have you gone back and had an internal nasal examination, of your nose, by the Rhinoplasty Surgeon?  There are numerous ways that the airway can be reduced, from internal valve collapse to web formation along the upper aspect of the incision line used in the Rhinoplasty.  

Post nose job obstruction

+1

At a year it is now appropriate to start looking into the causes for your nasal blockage.  A relatively common problem with a nose that has been made smaller is that it has also been made overly narrow.  Internal nasal valves (you could look this term up on-line) can be compromised by a rhinoplasty.

You would need to find a surgeon who understands nose breathing and specializes in revision rhinoplasty for improving function.

Douglas J. Kibblewhite, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Poor Nasal Breathing 1 Year after Septorhinoplasty

+1

You have been patient waiting for a year after your septorhinoplasty. There are many possible causes for your breathing problem including a narrow airway as you suggest. Sending pictures may be helpful (go to my website for instructions on the views needed), but you do need a thorough examination to diagnose the cause of your problem.