I Cannot Breathe Still, 8 Mos After Surgery. Could It Be More Than Slight Deviated Septum?

After rhinoplasty and not being able to breathe, surgeon said matter of factly, oh! You do not have enough room for the air now, you have a deviated septum and need a turbinectomy and septoplasty. Another doc said I only had slight deviation. Is this unusual for the surgeon NOT to check and compensate for any deviation and to make sure the patient will be able to breathe after surgery? I hated it when the nurse said, "but it looks cute." I am taking Flonase and still cannot breathe.

Rhinoplasty and airway issues

+1

Airway issues may or may  not be corrected after rhinoplasty and could get worse. Airway issues can be from a weak internal or external valve, a deviated septum,enlarged turbinates, sinuses, and allergies to name a few. 

Rhinoplasty and Nasal Airway Issues

+1

An ideal rhinoplasty not only looks good but functions well. One of the concerns with making a nose smaller on the outside is that it tends to make the nose smaller on the inside as well. This can compromise your breathing ability. There is no way to tell without a physical examination, but there are surgical techniques that can improve breathing in patients like you. One of the big questions is did you breathe well before surgery and are there things you can do to make it better. See a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in revision rhinoplasty for a better opinion. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Difficulty breathing after rhinoplasty

+1
My personal approach to all rhinoplasty surgeries is to make sure they are both aesthetically pleasing and functional. When doing a rhinoplasty procedure you must take into consideration the thinning of the nose, septal deviations, turbinates and how this will affect the patients normal breathing routine post rhinoplasty. I routinely do septal work and turbincetomy work with almost all of my rhinoplasty procedures. More formally known as septorhinoplasty a combination procedure for both aesthetic and functioning purposes. The result you are looking for is a beautiful natural looking nose that is in balance with the patients facial features and is functional. A "cute" nose that you can't breathe out of is not cute!

Michael Elam, MD