My nose is slightly crooked. I think I have a deviated septum. Should I get it looked at? (Photo)

I'm 17 so I know I'm young I have had this problem since i was a kid and now growing up I'm becoming much more self confident I hate the way my profile looks. I play soccer so I have some breathing problems too bc I can't breathe out of my nostril I want to get it fixed badly and have a better smaller nose. What should I do and how much would a septophynoplasmy cost?

Breathing problems

+2
you nose needs to be examined for septal deviation, it is hard to say based on these pictures, part of surgery might be covered by insurance, for pricing you need to see a plastic surgeon and talk to their office. 

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Collapsed external valve

+1
It looks like the external nasal valve collapses when you breathe in leading to obstruction.  You may need a rhinoplasty in which a graft is placed along the left nasal ala to support it and avoid its collapse.  You may also have a septal deviation or turbinate hypertrophy that would need to be corrected at the same time.  Best wishes. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Daviated septum

+1
The limited pictures show that you have a deviated cartilagenous ( lower) part of your nose. The bony pyramid appear straight and relatively narrow. As to the blockage that can only be evaluated by an exam. Indeed, you may have a deviated lower septum that is pulling the the tip to the right. See a facial plastic, rhinoplasty surgeon, perhaps one with an ENT background. And make sure your parents are on board since you are still under age.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty or Septorhinoplasty

+1
Thank you for the photos and your questions. Yes, it appears that your nose is a bit crooked. In most cases, this is due to a deviated septum (at least in part). However, the bones of the nose may also be deviated and the tip cartilages may be a bit crooked or twisted.  Without seeing inside your nose, I can't say exactly the extent of the deviation, but your history of breathing problems certainly supports the diagnosis. To make the nose smaller, as well as correct the crookedness, a rhinoplasty is required. This is a more extensive operation, and involves changes in both the septum and the external structures of the nose (bridge and tip). In most cases where a functional (breathing) problem is present, insurance will pay for a portion of the surgery.  Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septorhinoplasty candidate

+1
Dear Amadorbuffs12, First and foremost you are a lovely young lady and you have two issues that seem to be your complaints. Number one, you dislike your profile and number two, you have breathing difficulties. So with this said, you are an excellent candidate for what we call septorhinoplasty. This is the combination of two procedures. The first being the "septoplasty" portion which involves the function of your nose and secondly the "rhinoplasty" portion which addresses the aesthetic complaints of your nose.  A consultation with direct examination will be able to best tell you the proper proposed surgical plan. In my practice I use a digital imaging computer to best allow the patient to see the aesthetic changes.  After agreeing upon the proposed result it  is then the job of the surgeon to make sure this happens.The ultimate result is modifications to allow a natural looking nose to the appearance while addressing the functional aspects for better breathing. It is my experience in young athletes that this is very helpful to their future ability in sports as their breathing is more relaxed and is less strain on their systems. Your insurance may cover a portion of these costs due to your breathing difficulties otherwise the prices vary between surgeons. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

My nose is slightly crooked. I think I have a deviated septum. Should I get it looked at?

+1
I would recommend having your nose examined by a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. After examining your nose in person, the physician will be able to determine whether your septum is deviated. Insurance generally covers some or all of the functional portion of your surgery. It would be necessary to avoid playing soccer for up to 6 months after surgery is performed. This is due to the risk of trauma involved. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Crooked nose with deviated septum can be fixed with a septorhinoplasty.

+1
Crooked nose with deviated septum can be fixed with a septorhinoplasty done by a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. You should avoid soccer for at least six weeks after having this done. Your airway as well as asymmetry should be corrected with the surgery.  

Septorhinoplasty for breathing problems and broken nose

+1
A  Deviated septum usually occurs from nasal trauma and can result in blockage of air flow through the nose due to twisted bone and cartilage internally. A septoplasty is performed for medical necessity( Once  documented) and can improve air flow through the nose. A septoplasty will not change the shape of the nose. Additionally, a spreader graft composed of the patient's own cartilage will be required to be placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage on the patient's right side.
A rhinoplasty can also be performed at the same time to improve the look of the nose, but must be paid for by the patient. Medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones are required to straighten the nose.  The dorsal hump can also be shaved down along with minor  tip adjustments as necessary.
For many examples and more information, please see the link below to our rhinoplasty photo gallery

Crooked nose

+1
You have a deviation on the outside that probably correlates to a deviated septum.  The outside and the airway can be corrected with a closed rhinoplasty.  The cost can't be determined without getting a pre-authorization from your insurance.  If they cover the septoplasty,  the costs will usually be significantly lower.  Best wishes. 

David Alessi, MD

Treatment for a Crooked Nose

+1
There s significant deviation and asymmetry of your nose which is at least partially responsible for your obstructed  breathing. I t is obvious from the pictures you submitted that you do have septal deviation. Think about your sports career when you consider nasal surgery; you don't want to fix your nose and then go out and fracture it while playing soccer - definitely a contact sport.