HIV Positive - Can I Still Get Surgery to Correct My Breathing?

I recently went to see a ear, nose, and throat doctor about not being able to breath out of the left side of my nose. I do have HIV. He said due to that, he wouldn't do a surgery to fix my problem and doubted any other doctor would either. He said that the inside of that side of my nose is crooked. It is stopped up and I can't breath out of it. Is there anything I can do? Its driving me crazy..... Thank you

Nasal Surgery and HIV

+2

HIV is not a contraindication to nasal surgery.    I would find another Nasal surgeon to discuss your issue with.  Safe surgical practice should be applied to all persons regardless of thier HIV status.

Saint Paul Facial Plastic Surgeon

HIV positive and surgery

+1

Having HIV as long as you are medically stable and cleared should be fine. Just inform your surgeon of you medical history.

Nasal surgery with HIV

+1

The doctor who told you that is mistaken if he thinks other doctors will not help.  HIV is absolutely not a contraindication to nasal surgery.  Please find another surgeon!

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difficulty breathing

+1

Cosult another board certified ENT or Plastic surgeon.

Depending on detailed history and medications and drug use they can give you an advise. A stable HIV is NOT a contraindications for surgery.