Breast Swollen After Sleeping on It

I had a breast augmentation in 2008. Everything had been going great until yesterday. When I woke up, my breast was a little swollen and the muscle around it hurt a bit. I think I slept on my side the entire night, putting a lot of pressure on my breast. At the end of the day, the top protion was swollen (like when your breast is swollen when breast feeding) and it hurts in that same area. Any idea what this can be? Will the swelling go down by itself? Please help, thank you. Michelle M.

Sudden Breast Swelling Years After Breast Augmentation

+1

It is difficult to say exactly without examining you, but based on your description the diagnoses to consider are bleeding, infection, seroma (fluid collection), or early capsular contracture.  My recommendation is to make an appointment with your plastic surgeon so you can be examined and treated accordingly.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Breast Augmentation Swelling

+1

Thanks for the question.

There are various reasons as to why your breast may be swollen and without examining you, it is difficult to say. I recommend you follow up with your surgeon for an evaluation as this is an atypical finding.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Breast swollen after sleeping on that side

+1

That is a difficult question to answer and I would also be concerned about either a hematoma or seroma although both are relatively unlikely given how far out you are from surgery.

My recommendation is to see your Plastic Surgeon and have an actual examination.  That is really the best way to figure out what is going on.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Sudden swelling of a breast after sleeping on it.

+1

I have not heard specifically of this problem but would be concerned about a hematoma or seroma. It would be best for you to set up a consultation with a plastic surgeon who may order an ultrasound.

Breast Swelling after Augmentation

+1

I would contact your plastic surgeon to assess your breast.   It seems possible that you had a capsular tear with bleeding.    Patients will typically describe a tearing or sharp pain in the breast after stretching or heavy physical activity.  They may then palpate a bubble where the implant is herniating through the capsule.   It is also possible for the capsule to bleed and cause a hematoma, so please have your surgeon examine you.   If there is any question in your diagnosis, a breast MRI will provide the necessary information.   All the best.

Paul S. Gill, M.D.

Gill Plastic Surgery

Houston Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Paul S. Gill, MD

Swollen breast after sleeping on it may need a recheck visit.

+1

This could be implant displacement, capsule rupture with bleeding or seroma, or most likely nothing at all. Spontaneous infection is the least likely of concerns! If this swelling persists, a visit to your surgeon will provide a definitive answer and reassure you! I'm always happy when I can find "nothing wrong" and make my patient's day better. If not, then we're both glad she came in to find out how to deal with the concern, whatever it turns out to be. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Swollen breast!

+1

If the swelling does not improve at all within 48 hours and there are no signs of infection (fever, redness, more pain, etc) you may have a spontaneous seroma.  I have seen these occur even 10 years after a breast augmentation.  I would see your plastic surgeon just to be safe.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast swollen

+1

There are many reasons for a breast to beecome swollen.  WIthout an exam it is allmost impossible to say what it could be.  You may want to check with your surgeon.