Would Breat Reduction Help Pain in The lower Back?

Hi, I am 35 and done having children. My breasts are 38 G and i weigh 160 and am 5'9. My lower back has been a problem for years now. Would a breast reduction help in lower back pain? Also, how can I see if my insurance will cover it?

Lower Back Pain and Breast Reduction?

+2

Most patients with breast hypertrophy report discomfort of the upper back, neck, and shoulder areas. Probably best to be evaluated by doctors who know you best and/or a spine specialist to determine the cause of your lower back pain.

Regardless of the specific cause of your lower back pain, based on your description of body and breast  size, you may be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery at some point;  This operation tends to be extremely patient pleasing.

Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
 When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Breast reduction might help pain in the lower back.

+2

Most breast reduction patients find relief from shoulder neck and upper back pain. However, there is the occasional patient with lower back pain the benefits from the reduction.

Breast Reduction Will Help Alleviate Back Pain

+2

The main indication for breast reduction is back pain.  If you are unsure a consultation with an orthopedic surgeon would help.  It would also help you get insurance coverage.  You need to call your insurance company to see how or whether they cover breast reduction...Good Luck.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Breast Reduction for Lower Back Pain

+1

A breast reduction may help to alleviate your symptoms, but it cannot guarantee that your back pain will be completely resolved, especially if you’re dealing with lower back pain. Pendulous, or hanging, breasts can be compared to carrying a heaving bucket by its handles. When you lift the bucket up to your chest, the weight of the bucket is easier to carry. If you experience less upper neck and back pain when you wear a supportive bra, you may achieve some benefit from a breast reduction.

Before authorizing insurance coverage, carriers will consider how much tissue needs to be excised based on your height and weight. The amount required varies by each insurance carrier. Also, some insurance carriers require that a patient has first undergone more conservative treatment, such as physical therapy, before authorizing the procedure.

Wandra K. Miles, MD