Breat Implant Infection (Red Blotchy Spot Under Nipple Incision) - When Will It Heal?

I recently developed a small quarter sized red blochy spot under my left nipple incision 2wks after m y breast augmentation. I had the surgery done out of state and called the docter. She prescribed me AMOX/CLAV 2x/day 875mg. It has only been 3 days but it doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. How long till I should expect for it to clear? It has been draining a little pus and is sore. Also should I be keeping gauze over it or exposing it to air?

Redness after breast augmentation

+2

This is a very difficult question to answer without actually seeing you.  Absorbable sutures are broken down through your body's own inflammatory response and in some people this can become very prominent where they will actually "spit" sutures from the incision just like the body will push out a splinter.  In this case, you can develop a local red bump which will eventually extrude the suture and then, once it does, will go on to heal uneventfully.  However, if your implant is infected it needs to be removed immediately since it does not have a blood supply and cannot fight off infection. 

My recommendation would be to either go back and see your initial Plastic Surgeon in the other state or see someone locally.  Either way, you really need to get this looked at as soon as possible.

I hope that helps!

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Infection after Breast Augmentation?

+1

You should go see a Plastic Surgeon to make sure it's not an infection.  Sometimes the incision opens up a little bit but that should clear up in a week or two.  You can always clean something like this with peroxide for the time being.   

Robert N. Young, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Infection after breast implant augmentation surgery

+1

THere are major differences between wound infections and implant infections and this distinction is difficult to make online but best made by your plastic surgeon.

Possible infection after augmentation.

+1

First off, without an examination it is impossible to tell if you have an infection. If it is an infection, the answer is not always immediate removal of the implant. It depends on the severity of the infection, whether or not the implant is exposed or near-exposed, and what tissue is infection (skin/fat vs. the implant space itself). A trial of antibiotics to cover common skin organisms either oral or IV is appropriate. For more severe infections or signs of systemic response (fevers, chills, increasing pain), then hospital admission, IV antibiotics, and possible implant removal is warranted. If your surgeon is out of state, see if they can recommend a plastic surgeon in your area for you to follow up with.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant infection?

+1

It is diffiuclt to say what is going on with you without an exam or at least photos.  You should see a plastic surgeon to make sure everything is okay.

Breast implant infection

+1

At 2 weeks postop, you are exhibiting signs of a potential breast implant infection.  If this is the case, antibiotics will NOT fix the problem and only implant removal done asap is going to cure you.  You would need to wait several months before trying again.  You need to see your doctor or another plastic surgeon immediately.  The local WA hospitals all have a plastic surgeon on call to their ER if you can't go back to your doctor.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation

+1

You may need another antibiotic (i.e. MRSA is not an uncommon cause of post-op infections).  Another cause can be the the body is trying to extrude a suture that is too close to the surface of the skin.  Both need to be addressed urgently, since if the implant becomes infected, they may need to be removed.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Infected Breast Implants Must be Removed

+1

I cannot be certain whether you have a superficial infection or your implants are infected.  If the implants are directly involved with the infection, they need to be removed (the implants have no blood supply and the infection can never be completely eradicated).  This illustrates one of the potential problems with "long distance medicine".

John Whitt, MD