Had Breat Augmentation, and Am Now Wanting Bigger.

I am 5'3, 108lb.I was an A and went to a D (375(L)400cc(R) Im wanting bigger. If I got 500cc would it be significantly bigger if not is 600cc too big?

Increasing the breast implant volume

+1

It is difficult to say whether or not this would be appropriate without a formal exam.  The implants you suggest are quite large and may not fit your frame properly.

Fake Look Vs Natural Look

+1

With your small frame (5'3", 108 pounds) implants with volumes of 375-400cc seem quite large.  It pretty much boils down to the look that you are seeking.  Any implants which are larger than you have currently will almost certainly give you "the fake look".  If this is not bothersome to you or this is the result that you are seeking, then you certainly can have larger implants placed.  You must be aware, however, that implants which are "too large" will be accompanied by an increase in the chances of problems (bottoming out, capsular contracture, etc.)

John Whitt, MD

Had breast implants; now wants to go larger!

+1

The simple and short answer is that if you want to go larger, you probably can, though your surgeon and your anatomy have to cooperate!

In general, a 100-125cc difference adds just under 1/2 cup size, so YOU have to decide if this is enough of a change to be worthwhile reopening Pandora's box! If you developed a capsular contracture, malposition, double bubble, etc. you might end up wishing for what you started with. I'm not trying to "scare" you into not having surgery again, but you need to understand that this is not like changing a hairstyle or an article of clothing! Do-overs each carry a tiny risk, and each and every surgeon knows this, even if our patients aren't fully warned and re-warned!

Again, think of adding the volume of one-third of a can of soda to each breast. Is this enough? Will your pocket and anatomy accommodate this increase without problem or concern? If it can, I have no problem recommending that you go ahead, so long as you understand that larger breasts have more sag and stretch over time. But a 1/2 cup increase is not overwhelming, and I suspect this will be a good thing for you. Too bad you and your surgeon couldn't get the size right initially--size increase is the most common reason for re-operation.

Good luck and best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

A few issues to consider

+1

Increasing your implant by 125 cc from a 375/400 cc to a 500 cc will be a noticeable difference.  However, as noted above, this can create other problems if the implant doesn't fit your frame.  Depending on what type of implant you have, you might ask your plastic surgeon about the use of a high profile implant, with a larger volume and more projection, but a narrower base.  Also, studies have shown that there are more long term complications with implants when the implant is larger than 400 cc.  Just something to think about.  Good Luck!!

Daniel Sherick, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Secondary Breast Augmentation to Increase Volume

+1
Before a woman upsizes to larger breast implants, it is important to consider whether or not your chest anatomy will support the additional weight. There are no hard and fast rules but in general having breast implants that take you to a size larger than a D cup will be prone to long term sagging. It is usual necessary to increase the implant size by 75-100 cc. to notice a significant difference. Get the opinion of more than one board certified plastic surgeon and ask them what they think about your body's ability to support heavier implants, not just if they would be willing to do it.

Joseph Fata, MD

Please send your pictures

+1

The before and after picture would help. I would wait at least 3 months after the surgery for revision. In general for the revision you should go at least 75-100 cc bigger to notice the difference.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant sizing is important

+1

I would carefully consider the long term consequences of larger implants on a small framed chest. You might regret the outcome a few years from now. This is just my own bias - I'm not a fan of large implants. Post some photos !

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

+1

Without a posted photo very hard to advise. I would recommend at least 1500 cc's more per side as a minimum starting place. 

I meant 500 cc's per side not 1500- typo!

Photos

+1

hard to see without photos-you need to wait at least 6 mos before revisionary surgery-also other factors are involved-are your implants above or below the muscle, size of your pocket-what are some of the limitations in your case to be able to gomlarger.  You need to discuss in depth to find out what your best options are without creating a bigger problem for you in the future

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Wanting larger implants

+1

If you are considering revisionary surgery to go larger, it would be helpful to know how long ago you had the procedure done. In most cases, I ask the patient to wait atleast 3-6 months before proceeding with revisionary surgery. Clear communication with your plastic surgeon is important in achieving the desired goals of the patient.  I like to communicate with patients with “goal” pictures.  During surgery, I use temporary sizers to determine the size/profile that will give the patient the look she is looking for. Trying to predict the size of the implant preoperatively is not ideal.  I think it is too much responsibility for the patient to choose the size of the implant.  Ideally, the surgeon would make that determination once he/she is in the operating room with sizers in and examining the patient in the upright and supine position.  There are many variables that come into play when choosing the correct implant size (how much breast tissue the patient currently has, the shape of the chest wall (concave vs. convex), etc…