Can I Continue to Run After I Get Breast Augmentation?

I am petite 5 feet 2inches, 107 lbs in excellent shape and 48 years old. I am a 32B cup now and would like to have a breast lift without implants or possibly small implants to add fullness if needed. My Question is once fully healed, any potential problem with continuing to run and wieght train.

+1
Yes, barring any unusual complications, you should be able to resume your active lifestyle after breast augmentation surgery (and adequate recovery time). Your plastic surgeon will be your best guide when it comes to specific timing to return to specific activities.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients in “action”  interesting to you.  Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

Running after breast augmentation

+1

You can certainly continue to run and exercise after you are fully healed. If you go with the lift and a implant, you might find that being a C cup or small C cup size will fit in with your active lifestyle nicely. You surgeon can help you with the decision.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Getting back to life as usual after surgery

+1

Dear Cynthia,

It sounds like you would be a candidate for breast augmentation surgery rather than solely a breast lift  surgery.  After a breast augmentation you can most certainly resume your normal activities once your healing is complete.  The time frame in which your surgeon recommends you resume your normal activity may vary but may be anywhere from 4-6 weeks after surgery.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Exercise after breast augmentation

+1

Certainly you will be able to run and exercise after a breast lift and augmentation.  This is especially true if you go with a conservative sized implant.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Exercise after Augmentation or Breast Lift

+1

You sound like a great candidate for either a Mastopexy (lift) alone or with an implant. You simply need to discuss your desires with your Plastic Surgeon. For you, I would use a subglandular implant if you decide on an augmentation also. With this, you should be able to return to most activities almost immediately. After about a month, you should have no problem with exercise or running either. I would, however, advise wearing a good sports bra with more support than a simple stretch bra.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation

+1

One you are completely healed, there is no reason why you can;t go back to full activity. This usually is about 6 weeks after an uncomplicated procedure.

There is no long term impediment to Running or Weight Training following such surgery.

+1

Given an adequate period to heal, that being approximately 3 weeks from the date of surgery, you should  then be able to resume running and or weight training.This time frame applies to either the lift alone or with an implant. However, you may at this time find it still to uncomfortable to run or lift weights.It may take some additional time for you feel comfortable enough to do so. You are more likely to have an extended period of discomfort with then without the implant.

David A. Ross, MD

Women CAN run and exercise after a Breast Lift

+1

There is NO reason why you should not be able to return to running after you are healed from a Breast Lift. If you do not want significantly larger breasts you would do well with a SHORT SCAR MASTOPEXY (such as a Hall-Findlay). The procedure leaves only a lollipop scar but uses the sagging inferior part of the breast as an auto-implant.

As long as you wear a good supportive bra you should do great.

Dr. P. Aldea

Exercise after Breast Surgery

+1

After about 4-6 weeks, I allow my augmentation and mastopexy patients to resume any exercise including running without limitation.  It is obviously a good idea to wear a good athletic bra during these activities.

John Whitt, MD

Exercises following breast augmentation and lift (mastopexy) with implants.

+1

SEE VIDEO BELOW FOR LIFT WITHOUT IMPLANTS IN AN ACTIVE FEMALE: If you are not having implants placed, I don't see any reason why you could not return to unrestricted lifting and running by 6 weeks after surgery. With implants, I advise patients to avoid pectoralis strengthening exercise.