What to Do About These Breasts? (photo)

I lost a lot of weight when I was 16, had a tummy tuck when I was 19 and had a horrible scarring. It doesn't look terrible now, but because of this I am SO SCARED to have a breast lift because of the scars. Could I get away with a large implant, even if it's like, HUGE? I think my frame could handle it. I don't care if the nipples don't lift, it's the middle part of my chest that just has nothing there, could I fill it in with a big implant to get rid of the upside-down-"v" look ? Thanks!!!!

Breast Implants And Lift Are The Option To Consider

+1

Based your photos you will benefit the most from a breast augmentation (breast implants) with a lift.

No matter how HUGE your implants would be, the gravity will take its course and will have the implants drop causing ptotic breasts.

That said, you should consider a limit to how big of an implant your skin can handle. Without physical examination, it is hard to advise you on that matter.

I encourage you to seek a consultation with board certified surgeon of ample experience who will be able to guide you make a well informed decision.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Breast Implants with Lift

+1

Hello and thanks for the question.  

In review of your photos it appears you will require a breast augmentation with lift to attain optimal results.  I would need to examine you first-hand to determine the right mastopexy procedure for you.  I recommend consulting with several board certified plastic surgeons to get multiple points of view as to what your specific requirements are need and why.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

A breast lift with implants is likely your best option.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

A breast lift with implants is likely your best option. Implants alone do not lift breasts. Breast implants restore lost volume but do not provide lift. A large implant would cause problems long term

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation

+1

Although this is difficult to diagnos without an exam you may be happy with a simple breast augmentation and avoid a breast lift all together. A big enough implant will give you the lift and fullness you desire without the scarring of a breast lift.

Scott Loessin, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon

Minimal scarring breast lift

+1

Dear Dragonfly,

Thank you for submitting photos. It appears you will need a lift. A 'HUGE' implant will not only make things worse in the long run, but will not give you a nice result. Trust me, I have seen women who have mistakenly been advised to go the 'HUGE' route only to have revisionary surgery sooner than later. The simple fact is that large implants DO NOT lift  saggy breasts.

I think you are a perfect candidate for the Mini Ultimate Breast Lift. This is a new technique which was developed specifically for women with loss of volume and stretched breast skin due to pregnancy or weight loss. A small or moderate sized sub muscular implant is chosen. Then, your existing breast tissue is repositioned directly over the implant to give you a natural, perky, fuller appearance. Dermal straps are fashioned from your excess skin to give longevity and an esthetically pleasing lift. The only incisions will be around your areolas, therefore minimizing the amount of scars on your breasts. "Bad" scarring can be unpredictable. FYI, genetics, age, location of incision and suturing technique are factors that can influence scarring.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Previous "horrible" scars may be your genetics, or it could be bad surgical choices or technique.

+1

Scarring is every patient's concern, sometimes so much so that poor decisions are made regarding surgical choices (and surgical options may be similarly skewed by the surgeon to avoid "potential" bad scars). This can lead to bad results (with good or bad scars) that can result in more surgery. So, you can see that there are a number of considerations that need careful review.

If your tummy tuck scar started out looking great and subsequently stretched or thickened, your genetics of healing may be the primary culprit, and your breast lift scars could be similarly poor. If, however, the incision looked bad from the start, then surgical technique could be the bigger issue, and you would be correct to be concerned about breast lift scars (at least by your tummy tuck surgeon). This begs the question--is your plastic surgeon American Board of Plastic Surgery-certified? Have you seen photographic examples of his or her work? Could more precise surgical technique and tinier sutures yield better results?

Choosing large implants (even "huge" ones that could "fill" your breast skin) will not correct your below-the-crease nipples or downward-pointing nipple position. You could end up with a significant "Snoopy-dog" configuration that looks bad, and still requires a breast lift (more surgery) to correct.

You should see several ABPS-certified plastic surgeons and frankly discuss your scar concerns. Even with less-than-ideal scarring, you should still have a full breast lift and choose moderate-sized implants to avoid the problems one of my patients experienced with 3 operations by two surgeons (elsewhere) before she had the operation she really needed in the first place. In her case (and what I fear for you), choosing a "less-scar" option of vertical (lollipop) lift or donut (Benelli or periareolar) lift just ended up creating more and worse scarring and needed a final fourth operation (by me) to "fix" the "less-scar" choices she underwent previously. Click on the link below for photos of this patient. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Alone Or Do I Need A Lift Also?

+1

Dear Dragonfly29,

First, thank you for the photos and the detailed history.  Given your past history of weight loss and the stretched nature of the your breast tissues, just placing very large implants is a recipe for disaster.  It is doubtful that your tissues will be able to support the large implants for any significant period of time.  Your breast tissues will be stretched even more and the surgery to repair the damage more extensive and not as effective.

While it is impossible to answer your questions precisely without an examination, I would suggest a breast lift with augmentation using moderate size implants to achieve your stated goals.  Why moderate size implants?  Because even with a breast lift, you cannot undo the damage that the excess weight did to your breast tissues earlier in life.  The moderate size implants will put less stress on your tissues hopefully with a larger lasting result.

While you may of had a bad experience with your tummy tuck scars, that does not mean you will have the same issues with your breast lift.  Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who after an examination and also a review of your goals can help you select the best course of treatment.  Best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and augmentation

+1

You may very well need a breast lift at the same time, but if you are not sure, you can have the implants placed and consider it as a second stage.

Do I need breast lift

+1

The photos you provided show breast asymmetry and large areola. Since you have lost significant weight, I think you have, in addition, significant skin laxity. To perform implant only surgery would require  a large implant that not only cosmetically be unpleasing , but will increase your ptosis and may bring other symptoms such as shoulder and back pain. I think what you need is a breast lift and implant.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD