Large Areola and Asymmetry After breast Reduction, How Can I Make my Breasts Look Better?

I got a breast reduction about a year ago, but I'm not happy with the results.. I was wondering if there's anything I could do to reduce my areolas! And I've noticed that one breast (including areola) looks bigger than the other I'm concerned because my breasts don't look the way they should at my age.. I'm 22! Do the scars look ok? Thanks!!

Breast reduction asymmetry

+3

Some degree of asymmetry after breast reduction surgery is normal.  Tweaking asymmetry of areolar size is usually not too difficult, but addressing the volume is a little more involved.  Your scars seem to have healed quite well.

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Results

+3

I do not think your areolas are too big. They look proportionate to your breasts. Keeping blood supply to the nipples is VERY important. If your doctor made them too small, you may lose blood supply to the nipple and it could become necrotic. Yes, one breast does look bigger than the other, but that can be easily revised.

Your scars healed very well and could improve more over time. In my honest opinion, other than the slight asymmetry, you have a nice result.

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Looking better after breast reduction

+2

Looking better and being more comfortable is what breast reduction is all about, and most plastic surgeons would consider your result as excellent, as well as most others who have a very large and drooping breast and might be considering breast reduction. Some differences between breasts is inevitable. You can seek a revision, but be careful what you ask for.

peterejohnsonmd

The Enemy of Good is Perfect

+2

You have a very nice result. The breasts show excellent form and position. If your breast were perfect before surgery you wouldn't have gone for a reduction. Most women have some degree of asymmetry before surgery and it's often impossible to achieve perfect symmetry in any breast operation. Try to  focus on the 98% of your result that works, and try to accept the 2% that is slightly different. I think your surgeon did a nice job. Later on if you experience changes with childbearing and aging you can revisit the issue.

Paul Angelchik, MD
Glendale Plastic Surgeon

Areolas after breast reduction

+2

I think you have had quite a good result. Areolas can be made smaller by excising some skin from the periphery, but will leave you new scars and possibly some more asymmetry than what you have now. On balance I would not recommend any further surgery. Yours scars, though slightly hyperpigmented, seem very acceptable too.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+2
The results you have most p,astic surgeons would consider very good. Minor differences between the two sides are normal and you should be happy with your results.

David L. Abramson, MD

Large areola

+2

Dear Lauren,

Your scars look fine.  You do have some degree of asymmetry but I would say that it is within normal limits.  If this concerns you, then you should see your surgeon.

It is possible to reduce the areola and if it were only this that you needed, it could be done under local anaesthetic.  If you were to have a reduction of the left at the same time (possibly by liposuction), this would require sedation or a general anaesthetic depending on your surgeon's preference.  Good luck.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Overly critical after breast reduction

+2

While you do have some small asymmetries most surgeons would consider your result, including the scars, to be excellent, not perfect, but excellent.  But excellent is as good as you can reasonably expect.  I'd suggest you be happy with the result you have, and re-visit after you have a family and the breasts have sustained their changes from that.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction Results?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Overall, you have quite an acceptable result  after breast reduction surgery;  your plastic surgeon did a nice job for you.

If, after careful consideration,  you are still concerned about the areola size and/or breast asymmetry,  reduction of the areola and further reduction of the larger breast is possible. You should,  however carefully consider the potential risk/complications associated with further  surgery.